2016 Election Tracker

2016 Election Tracker

By: Anna Aguillard, Senior Writer

What do the 2016 Election Primaries and popular teen fiction have in common?

According to Steven Colbert, quite a bit – he spoofs the “Hunger Games,” formally bidding farewell to the fallen each time a candidate drops out (most recently to date, Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker).

As the field inevitably narrows, it becomes more and more important to understand the differences between the candidates: their primary stances, their strengths, their weaknesses and their diets. The things that have been proven to decide elections. Somewhere beneath the complacent Wofford Bubble in which we all find ourselves absorbed while on campus, in the back of our minds, we all share one similar goal upon completion of our education: establishing financial security. Because how else are we going to donate back to our Alma Mater?

So here’s how the major candidates stand on one of the most important issues: the economy.

Donald Trump: Ask Trump about the economy, and he spins it back to immigration. He wants to implement a massive tariff on China and Mexico, bringing back American jobs and, you know, make our country great again.

Ben Carson: 100 percent pro free market and for the establishment of a flat tax, in which all Americans pay the same tax rate. This would eliminate the IRS completely. Additionally, Carson wants to cut every Federal Government’s spending by 10 percent, no exceptions, like when he once cut Siamese twins apart.

Jeb Bush: He vetoes a lot of spending. He cut $19 billion from Florida’s government spending, balanced the budget, and said that if he is president, he will achieve 4 percent growth and create 19 million new jobs. Carly Fiorina: Wants to undo the complexity of the tax code, cut taxes and is definitely against the stimulus bill.

Marco Rubio: Reminds us how he’s an example of the American Dream every chance he gets. Wants to make the dream a reality by simplifying taxes and regulations and creating “Student Investment Plans” to make education more available.

Hillary Clinton: Wants to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour, raise taxes on the wealthy and lower student debt by increasing taxes across the board.

Rand Paul: Flat tax at 14.5 percent of annual income, drastic reductions in federal spending and balance the budget.

Bernie Sanders: Increase corporate taxes to allocate more money to the poor, boosting the social safety net. People call him socialist; he calls himself a democratic socialist. Which is as confusing as when you rent a book that is cheaper to buy.

$0
$500