Black Alumni Summit

Current students and alumni who participated in this year’s Black Alumni Summit gathered over homecoming.

By: Jonathan Franklin, Senior Writer

With the activities taking place during Homecoming Weekend 2015, the College along with the alumni office hosted the Black Alumni Summit for the second year for Black alumni and current Wofford students. The two-day event, held this year on Oct. 23 and Oct. 24, allowed current Wofford students the opportunity to interact with Black Wofford alumni during the day and evening sessions held all weekend.

“I think it’s the best thing I’ve been involved in since I’ve been at Wofford. The most impacting part was hearing people who felt the same way about Wofford as I do now and seeing how successful and happy they are post their experience,” says senior Savannah Robinson.

In comparison to last year’s summit, participants had similar expectations going into the summit and after its conclusion. This year’s summit featured networking sessions among the alumni, a reunion of the Wofford College Gospel Choir, professional and personal development sessions for students and a reception for current students and alumni at the president’s home, all concluding with the multicultural tailgate on Oct. 24 before the football game, sponsored by the Association of Multicultural Students and the brothers of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity.

“I think the summit went well. It was an opportunity for us [alumni] to come back to campus as a group. I think what was most impactful was hearing from fellow alums and students alike, hearing their hopes and goals for our future presence on campus,” says Erin Bradley, class of 2004.

Bradley, an intercultural studies major and Latin American and Caribbean Studies (LACS) concentration while at Wofford, has been on the Black Alumni Steering Committee since its evolution and has high expectations for future summits to come.

“I certainly expect us to maintain our momentum and increase our efforts overall. I’m really committed to the students’ experience and enrichment, so it’s my goal that we are always available and a resource to students. That could take many forms, but I hope next year we can say we made leaps in mentorship and outreach to students,” says Bradley. “I feel it’s important for alumni to give back to their college in as many meaningful ways as possible. This is one effort to do that.”

Jessica Holcomb, class of 2010 Bonner Scholar alumna and sociology major with an African/African American Studies concentration, having a similar experience to Bradley, also believes that the summit should continue annually to benefit Black alumni.

“The formation of a Black Alumni group at Wofford is a wonderful thing. Having the idea of many of us coming together with the common bond of being Wofford graduates is such a powerful thing,” says Holcomb.

Pleased with the positive outcome of this year’s Black Alumni Summit, alumni and current students are hoping for future summits to take place so that the four-year experience for Black students is enhanced both during and after Wofford.

“The summit this year was very informative and focused more on actions being done to help the current students. So much has already been accomplished with the Campaign Fund and the NPHC/Multicultural House, and it was great to see how much the alumni care and are willing to give back to Wofford and the current black students,” says sophomore Phyllicia Colvin-Panton. “The dedication that I’ve witnessed throughout the summit shows the strength and character of our alumni.”

$0
$500