Ashes spread at Snyder Field to remember alumnus

By: Katie Sanders, Staff Writer

Class of ’72 alumnus Randall Bringman had his ashes scattered on Snyder Field during halftime of the homecoming football game earlier this fall. Bringman was a kicker for the football team during his five years at Wofford, when the football field was located where Snyder Field is today. He set the school record with his 43-yard field goal, so his ashes were scattered around where the 33-yard-line would be, accounting for the ten yards of the end zone.

“Randy played on the team that played for the 1970 national championship. That team has been very close to each other. They meet together every year at homecoming and have a meal together. Other teams don’t do that, “ says Reverend Ron Robinson. “They’ve raised money for a scholarship, and the chairman of the board of trustees is from that class. It’s really a brotherly relationship that has endured. They are uniquely connected to the college.”

His friends thought of the idea to spread his ashes at Wofford. His widow liked the idea as well.

Robinson says, “We wanted to remember him, and create a memory by doing something significant here.”

Bringman’s immediate family members, along with around 20 of his old teammates, gathered at Snyder Field for the ceremony. The college gave permission to spread the ashes.

Robinson gathered them together and told them about the tradition of the tolling the bell, which tolled that day for Bringman. A few family members and friends shared memories, and then they thanked God for Bringman’s life. There was a prayer and a benediction, and afterwards people mingled and talked. His cleats and football helmet were on display at the estimated 33-yard-line.

Robinson says incorporating their alma mater into funeral services is common for alumni.

“I’ve done services on campus, and I’ve done services elsewhere. I’ve seen things like a Wofford pennant or tie being worn by alumni in the coffin. I’ve done one service where there was a Wofford ‘W’ on the casket.”

He thinks the college should consider a more intentional way of welcoming alumni home, even after their time on earth has passed.

“I really think we’re at a place as a campus where we need to think about creating something like a columbarium, where people’s ashes could be buried. It could be a garden, or something else on campus. Wofford is home for people, and increasingly more and more people want something like that. It would be wise to look into that possibility.”

Seeing this group of men who still care for each other after so many years inspired Robinson. He said it’s a testimony to the enduring nature of Wofford relationships.

“This was a group of guys who loved and cared for their teammate for many years. It was really important to them to be there. I’m younger than they are, so to look at their lasting relationship is impressive.”

Player #25 Randy Bringman poses second from the right in the second row with the rest of the 1971 football team.

$0
$500