Senior Year Struggles

Second semester seniors have their sights set on graduation.

By: Jonathan Franklin, Senior Writer

With a little less than 60 days until commencement weekend, it is starting to become a little bittersweet to think that the Class of 2016 is on our way into the ‘real world’ – whether the real world is defined for you as going into the work force, graduate school, medical school, law school, etc.

Being a senior brings upon a lot of emotions: stress, excitement, laziness – we all know it’s true – nostalgia and ambition, just to name a few. While we know that a lot is expected from us coming from our families, professors and staff and sometimes even our friends, it is up to us to make the best of our last year and to make everlasting memories to cherish for life.
Granted, we are probably more than ready to walk across the stage and out the front gates onto N. Church St., but until then, you’ve probably been bombarded with questions about your life post-graduation or even why your motivation has declined drastically. In recent conversations I’ve had with friends and fellow seniors, I’ve realized that a majority of us are in the same boat and that we’ve had the same sentiments since the beginning of the spring semester.

Example #1: Can people stop asking me what I’m doing after graduation?

Yes, I know I’m graduating this semester and yes, I know I should be looking for jobs or deciding on which graduate school/program to do. While there are others who have solidified a plan of some sort as to what they are doing or where they are working, there are some who are still trying to figure it out. We promise, we’ll have it together before May 15.

Example #2: Is it acceptable to take a gap year? Do I have to go straight through more school?

It is completely up to you! It all depends on the person and what they want to do with their life. Some like the drive to continue with school – since we’ve been in school for all of our lives – and just want to go continue with their Master’s and/or Doctorate. Others just want a break and some time to breathe and will decide to go back to school. You do you!

Example #3: Is it possible to stay at Wofford for just another year?

As we are going back on old Facebook albums and Instagram posts and reminiscing on the old times, often times saying “Remember that one time…,” we begin to get nostalgic and the fear of being an adult instantly is instilled in us. By the time May arrives, we’ll be happy to graduate, but will have more memories to cherish and to reminisce on years from now.

Example #4: Can someone just give me a job already?

We all have that bit of senioritis within us that prevents us from doing anything – whether that is finding a job, finishing homework or even going out on Friday and Saturday nights – but when it comes to finding a job, it is a completely different story. There’s only so long you can stall from finding a job until graduation creeps up and you find yourself in a bind (aka, unemployed and broke).

Example #5: Is it time for graduation? Just let me graduate!

Says every senior lacking motivation – trust me.

$0
$500