Reflections of my second year at Wofford

By: Essence Buckman, Staff Writer

In the words of Malcolm X: “So early in my life, I had learned that if you want something, you had better make some noise.” As the spring semester of my sophomore year comes to a close, my mind is crowded with organizing my work and figuring out what I’m going to do for the summer. My journey throughout this school year has been rough in terms of social, personal and academic life. Many times I thought to give up, yet something in me keeps me going. My mindset has changed, and I feel way ahead of where I was before.

At the beginning of this year, I thought I wanted to be an English major with a government minor. However, after taking government classes, I decided I wasn’t interested in it. Since I was a youngin’ I wanted to be a lawyer, but I question that now. Regardless, I went on to declare English as my major, and as of a few months ago, I plan to declare a concentration in African American studies. I have a strong interest in writing; I’m just not sure what direction I want to take. Journalism, screenwriting, maybe even law school, are all different options.

In some way, I do plan to use my education and connect it to my improved black self-awareness. I have gone through social and personal changes that sometimes stressed me enough to affect my performance in classes. But I know that letting those things affect me is unacceptable. So I believe my interest in the African American studies program will not only educate me academically, but for personal reasons as well.

Attending a predominately white institution is still challenging to this day, so, gradually, I believe that I can make a way to make my experience here better. Due to my parents not supporting my desire to transfer, I believe God is keeping me here for a reason I have yet to figure out. Because of that, I figured that I must make the best of this.

In order to do so, I want to grow and have a voice for what is important to myself and others in my position as students on this campus. I want to push for all minorities to feel more comfortable at Wofford. I’m still trying to find out methods to do so, but so far I’m using being a writer as a way to express my opinions. To express my feelings. To have my voice heard.

I am looking forward to this African-American studies concentration in accordance to writing for this newspaper. I feel like this is the way that I am given the opportunity to be heard. I am excited to be on the journey towards molding my Capstone about something I am passionate about in African-American studies.

All I can do for my upcoming junior year is to hope for the best and do my best to see the changes I want implemented. I hope to see changes to make a minority student like I feel more comfortable. This year, aside from my academics, the main thing itching at me was the fact that things need to change. I am appreciative of the dialogue on race that occurred with Campus Union in February, and I hope that talks like these will be put into action.

Overall, this year has been tiring, but not draining enough for all of my hope to cease. Starting fall of 2016, I look forward to bettering my academic performance, as well as my personal life as a student on this campus. I’m looking forward to feeling a part of this college community.

$0
$500