American Politics in Spain

By: Kelsey Aylor, Senior Writer

It’s a sad day when Spaniards, whose own government has been locked down due to party polarity, simply laugh when you say you’re from America. Many often immediately my opinion about the upcoming elections, and lately I’ve tried to skirt around the issue by talking about individual platforms and issues that are important to me rather than dropping names.

But it inevitably comes up- el loco, Donald Trump. Also known as the biggest, yet most mysterious, laughing stock across the pond. They refer to the man that could potentially run our country for the next four years as “the crazy.” If that’s not scary, I don’t know what is. Just as many Americans do, the majority of Spaniards think of Trump’s candidacy as a joke.

Although everyone is entitled to their beliefs and is free to express them, including through their vote, I think some things need to be reexamined and questioned if the candidate you are supporting is unable to sustain international support and approval. If he is considered the tail end of a joke, he will not be respected in the future. Being declared POTUS does not automatically guarantee some elite status with universal acceptance and approbation.

While in Spain, I’ve also heard negative things about Hillary Clinton. My host mom today mentioned she was excited at the prospect of a female president, but thought Hillary wasn’t the best option due to her past. There are pros and cons to most candidates and I’m surprised at how informed people are here about American politics – not just the entertainment factor of it, but for the actual issues involved.

It’s sad to me how little interest many Americans take in our own political sphere, much less that of other countries we are connected with. No matter whom you support, what you believe in or even your overall opinion of the political process in America, it is so important to become active in the political sphere. For some, that may simply be voting. You don’t need to be the next campaign manager to play an important role. Please, stay informed and stay involved. Hopefully, we can show the rest of the world that our political environment isn’t simply some train wreck meant for entertainment.

$0
$500