Why Wofford:

Why+Wofford%3A

By: Kathleen Neustaetter, Staff Writer

Often referred to as the “Harvard of the south,” Wofford ranks at #77 under National Liberal Arts Colleges according to U.S. News’ “Best Colleges.” Roughly 1,613 students attend this private liberal arts institution.

Last year’s freshmen, the class of 2020, had an enrollment of 440 students. Out of those students, 201 were from out of state. They represented 25 different states ranging from California to New York City. Additionally, 7 foreign countries were represented. When asked why they’ve chosen to attend school out of state, students from the north cite warmer weather and exposure to cultural differences.

Kalvin Guyer ’20, New York, found Wofford through College Board. When asked why he chose Wofford, he says “to me, it’s like studying abroad for four years because it’s so different but incredibly exciting.” Prima Sisinni ’18 states that her experience was different. “I heard of Wofford because my family has a house in Murrel’s Inlet. I knew I wanted to come to school in the South because I didn’t want to deal with Minnesota winters anymore. I ended up choosing Wofford because it reminded me of home in many ways. Everyone was so open and welcoming towards me from the second I stepped on campus for my first tour. I am proud northerner at a small southern school and wouldn’t have it any other way.”

When asked “why Wofford,” several students listed positive professor interactions, a wide range of work-related and extracurricular opportunities, and the closeness of the community. In the words of President Nayef Samhat, “Wofford is a special place. You feel that when you’re here.”

$0
$500