To Impeach or Not To Impeach?

Terriers Speak Out on the Conflict Engulfing the Nation 

With the next election quickly approaching, a random sample of Wofford students were polled on their thoughts about the impeachment of President Donald Trump. The results indicate a fairly mixed response when it comes to impeachment.  

To be sure, this is only a collection of responses, and it may not reflect the students of Wofford as a whole. As well, there was no option for a “don’t know/don’t have an opinion” answer, so this may have skewed results. 

Student Thoughts 

“Alexander Hamilton had thoughts about impeachment and he said that he feared the process would be used to polarize the country,” said Kalvin Guyer, ‘20. Guyer is the president of the College Republicans and a member of Campus Union.  

“I think it will polarize a lot of people. A lot of people that will feel strongly if he’s not impeached; they’ll say ‘we got to go to the polls and try and make a difference.’ And there will be the counter which will be ‘now we have to hit the polls to defend our president.’” Guyer believes that the impeachment will bring a record turnout to the polls this year.  

“I think impeachment will happen but it’s a risky move the Democrats are making,” Guyer said. “I don’t see [Donald Trump] being removed from office.” 

Guyer is a double major in government and economics with a minor in international affairs. When asked about the role that should be played by foreign powers in U.S elections, he said, “Foreign countries have incentives. They have their own agenda.” Guyer added that while it is the right thing to do to expose corruption, the U.S. has to be careful of foreign interference for outside gains.   

Guyer added, “There’s a lot I don’t know and there’s a lot you don’t know…but it goes back to what I said on Hamilton. No matter what, it’s going to polarize people.” 

Margaret Roach, ‘21, said of the relation between the ongoing investigation and growing division in the country, “I don’t think it’s evidence of polarization. I think it’s evidence of our government doing its job.” 

Roach, a psychology major, is also on Campus Union. She also works as a student worker in the Wellness Center and is involved in College Democrats.  

“My hope is that this convinces more Republicans to vote outside of party lines and vote instead for someone who is a more of a morally intact leader,” she said. “220 House Democrats are already on board with impeachment. I know it will go the senate. Then it’s up to them.” She added, “I don’t have a strong feeling that the senate will formally remove Trump from office—the house needs more evidence.” 

When asked if she believed if President Trump had broken the law, she said “I think he has, and I think he has instructed other people to break the law. That should be enough.” She added, “I think it’s most similar to Nixon’s case, with both committing crimes but then people on their administration likely committing crimes under them.” 

One thing that both Guyer and Roach agreed upon was that voters need more information. “I think it’s imperative for people to stay informed and have an educated vote,” Roach said.  

Written by Donner Rizzo-Banks

$0
$500