Voices of Campus Union Being Heard

Bowen Nicholson, ’22, enjoying a cigarette in one of the new designated smoking areas on campus

Understanding the internal debate on the new tobacco/smoking products use policy

On Oct. 3, 2019 Wofford College informed students of the adoption of a new tobacco/smoking products use policy. The fall policy designates specific smoking areas around Wofford’s campus and sanctions that violators of the policy will be fined $25 when noted. It also mandates that Wofford’s campus will be tobacco/smoking products free by fall of 2020. Though the policy was created with intentions of making campus a healthier place, students feel like their voice was lost during the creation of the terms and conditions.  

Student activist Jacorie McCall, ’22, stated, “I believe that the new college-wide anti-tobacco/ vaping policy, while admirable in its considerations and health concerns of the campus population, does not represent the entirety of the college. In my opinion, by failing to address the Campus Union body and allowing it to be debated, there was a significant discredit to this body’s authority and trust that the students place in them.” In order to account for both views on the new policy, representatives from Campus Union were interviewed in order to express their student points of view.  

On one hand, students in opposition of the new policy express their concern about the lack of student input put into the creation of the policy. Christian Wright, ’22, said, “the President’s cabinet passed this policy only with the recommendation of the committee without any input from this Campus Union as a whole or its Executive Board on the tobacco friendly locations.” Additionally, another Campus Union member who wishes to remain anonymous expressed his concern about the designated smoking areas by stating, “I believe that these locations were quickly thought of and not thought through at all. These locations isolate and corner students in locations on campus where I believe the safety aspect was never thought of.”  

Rik Ujann, ’21, questions the $25 fines,stating, “fining students $25 for the use of tobacco is an unfriendly approach to our diverse student population. The fine functions regressively as it does not give, in my opinion, fair consideration for the different financial situations of our students.” On the other hand, supporters believe that the new policy will improve student health.  Mia Kilpatrick, ’22, believes “Wofford is behind other schools on prioritizing the health of their students.” Furthermore, Margaret Roach, ’21, argues that “the policy actually makes the consequences of breaking it more lenient as the fine was $100 for smoking too close to buildings prior, now it is only $25 for smoking outside of the smoking area.”  

Alternatively, representatives from Campus Union have proposed their ideas concerning the new tobacco/ smoking products use policy. Christian Wright, ’22, suggested “a tobacco free campus excluding the senior village and Greek village.” Braden Tuttle, ’20, recommended to “delay the implementation of the policy from Jan. 1 and instead begin another survey.” It is no secret that the new policy has sparked controversy among student groups, and a new survey could elicit more responses that would more accurately reflect students’ beliefs. Finally, Jacorie McCall, ’21, believes that “starting the process over, and including more student representatives in Campus Union would allow a good decision to be made that will leave everyone happy.”  

$0
$500