The ball’s in Galloway’s court

SENIOR FROM GREENVILLE AIMS TO EARN A NATIONAL RANKING THIS SEASON—

As the season gets ready to begin, Rob Galloway and the rest of the men’s tennis team have been training hard to improve upon last season’s campaign. Galloway, a senior Economics major, was an All-SoCon 2nd team selection last spring and has continued his stellar play into the preseason. He posted a 9-3 record on the preseason against some good talent and gives the OG&B some insight on the game of tennis.

When did you start playing tennis?

I started playing tennis when I was about 5 years old, and I competed in my first tournament when I was 7 or 8.

Did you play any other sports besides tennis?

Growing up I played a lot of different sports including soccer, baseball and basketball, but in high school I played football and squash.

When and how did you realize tennis was your sport?

I had some success with tennis in the juniors growing up, but it wasn’t until junior year of high school that I really considered playing in college.

How much training is involved to get where you are now?

A lot of training is involved in being a college player. As a team we do a lot of strength training, focusing on stability and mobility, and we also do a good amount of conditioning as we get ready for the season.

How much of a tennis match is mental?

Tennis is a very mental sport that requires a lot of thinking and adjusting on the fly. Mentally, I would say it is a lot like chess, because you are always thinking a couple steps ahead and always adjusting to your opponent’s shots.

You have gone 9-3 in the preseason thus far. What are your expectations individually this season?

This season I have high expectations for both the team and myself. As a team a few of our goals are earning a national championship, and most importantly, winning the SoCon championship. Individually I would like to earn a national ranking, and at the end of the season receive some SoCon recognition.

What is your favorite surface to play on?

My favorite surface is hard courts, but I have been told I would like grass courts too.

What is your favorite shot?

Probably a drop shot.

Moe’s or Chipotle?

Moe’s because of the queso.

Chocolate or Vanilla?

Chocolate

What is one song you could sing word for word?

Tom Petty’s “I Won’t Back Down”

Favorite tennis player currently?

Roger Federer

The men’s tennis team begin their season on Jan. 24 against King College.

— Kyle Hoffman

$0
$500