Campus Union Update

President+Hank+Davis+is+a+government+and+history+major.+
President Hank Davis is a government and history major.

STUDENTS LEAD CAMPUS IMPROVEMENT PROJECTS FOR THE SPRING SEMESTER—

A note from Campus Union President Hank Davis:

It is hard to believe that another Interim here at Wofford College has come and gone. I hope all of you had as much fun as I did during the month of January. I wanted to keep you in the loop about what has been going on at our regular Campus Union meetings that take place every Monday at 6 p.m. in the Olin Building Theatre. Campus Union recently elected three new members to our body in special elections: Matt Martin, Lindsay Uhlinger and Marianna Conrad. Each of these three will make a positive impact not only on the assembly but also on Wofford’s campus as well.

There are always plenty of events taking place at Wofford and Campus Union always wants to be a part of your next event. If there is anything that you believe Campus Union can do to help you in making your event the most successful that it can be, never hesitate to reach out to myself or the rest of the cabinet, as well as your class and at-large delegates.

Sincerely,
Hank Davis

[email protected]

Spring Semester CU Update:

While Wofford is only just finishing the second week of the spring semester, the campus is already booming with energy and new ideas. Many student leaders have developed initiatives aimed at improving various aspects of student life at Wofford. The Campus Union Assembly has been honored and excited to be involved in many of these projects

through the provision of funding, the creation of new committees or even just sharing information with the student body. What is the most encouraging is that students are taking power into their own hands to create constructive change for the good of the entire campus.

Dining Services Ad-Hoc Committee:

Junior Holten Fields has been leading the effort to improve dining services for Wofford students. Inspired by the Activism Interim course this January, students created an online petition to gather support for their movement. In just a couple weeks, that petition has gathered more than 500 signatures from the Wofford community. After Interim ended, Fields came to Campus Union to establish an ad-hoc committee to address these issues, which was established during the meeting on Feb. 9, with overwhelming support from the assembly. The committee has discussed various goals including: using more fresh and local ingredients from sources such as Hub City Farmers Market, having more dining options such as the Phase V buffet bars (the recently discontinued taco bar and pasta bar), and improving and diversifying the dining options available on the weekends. This movement is just getting started and is still accepting students interested in joining. If you are interested in joining the committee please contact Fields or any member of Campus Union.

Academic Commons/Library Advising Committee:

Sophomore Roderick Todd has been leading an effort to include student participation in an initiative to improve the library for the Wofford community. Dean of the Library Kevin Reynolds has been crafting a strategic vision statement for the future development of the library. The intention is that this vision will lead to a library that is more interactive and that can provide more resources to meet student needs. The draft of the vision, released to Campus Union for feedback, included areas of interest such as: Collections and Access, Spaces and Services, Outreach and Collaboration, Assessment and Organization, Discovery and Education. The committee was created in response to students’ requests for more participation regarding the future planning process at Wofford. If improving library resources and facilities is an area of interest for you, feel free to reach out to Todd or any member of Campus Union for more information on getting involved.

Game Room Ad-Hoc Committee:

Isaiah Addison, Hayden Breckenridge and David White have been leading the effort to examine the use of the game room space in the Campus Life Building. The committee has been meeting every Friday at 12:30 p.m. to discuss how the Wofford community could better utilize this space. Some ideas for improvement have included: repainting the walls (including a student mural wall), replacing the current features with modern touches, like

new gaming systems, card tables, classic arcade games and refinishing the pool tables. In addition to the physical updates, the committee hopes to bring back the Open Mic Night events that used to be held in Campus Life; they believe hosting these events in the game room will provide a more intimate and inviting atmosphere for students. You still have time to be a part of this initiative. If you are interested in getting involved with this project, please reach out to Addison, Breckenridge or White for further details.

WOCO Radio:

Caroline Winn, Kyle Hofmann, Cleburne Fant and Lindsay Uhlinger have reestablished the Wofford radio station, affectionately known as WOCO Radio. The team has been working vigorously the past few weeks to launch the new radio station. The first broadcast is scheduled for March 1, 2015. WOCO Radio will be an Internet radio station hosted by Live365 and streamed through iTunes radio. They hope to kick-off the semester with programming including: news, discussion, music, politics, sports and campus events. The team is now accepting any ideas students may have. If you are interested in working with the radio group or hosting your own radio show, apply through the website (webs.wof- ford.edu/wocoradio) or reach out to one of the team personally.

—Lindsay Uhlinger & Hank Davis

$0
$500