“It’s All Up In The Air”

A couple in Europe prepare to board the metro in late February

Students cope with coronavirus realities abroad

In the last week of February, as Milan was being referred to as the “European epicenter of the Coronavirus,” Ryan Fowler and Spencer Blackwell, ‘21, packed their bags in preparation to leave the city that they intended to call home for four months.

One of the rites of passage that many Wofford students choose to partake in during their time as a student is participating in a study abroad program, and the outbreak of the Wuhan Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) has affected the experiences of many traveling Terriers already. Currently, Wofford has 40 students abroad in over 20 countries. All but one of which have reported cases of the virus in their respective countries.

Fowler was only able to spend half of the semester in Milan as a part of IES’s program there. During the last days of his study abroad experience, before returning home, he and his classmates were all quarantined in their apartments and advised to  leave only for necessities. He commented on the different pace of the city when he did have to run an errand, saying that it seemed to have slowed down and that many people wore face masks. 

Although Fowler was not required to return home, he did ultimately choose to: “Though Wofford never required me to return, I decided that it was best for me to continue classes online. Dean Lancaster said that all credits will still be accepted at Wofford, even if they were online.”

A rare sight. One citizen of Athens takes to the streets in full protective gear.

When Ranna Harley, ‘21, chose Rome as her study abroad destination, she envisioned frescoes and the exploration of numerous palazzos, not a global epidemic. She is now less than 300 miles from the ‘European epicenter’ of the virus, but says one of the aspects of her day-to-day life that has been affected most by the outbreak is the amount of messages that she receives from home. 

Harley said, “We are advised to stay in our apartments while we do online classes instead of field studies. This has been the hardest change…missing amazing field studies around Rome and even day trips around Italy.” 

In spite of the virus, Harley added, “I was scared after meeting other students who were being sent home. I am so glad Wofford is not suggesting I drop the program…My biggest priority during all of this drama is to remain calm and enjoy my semester. This is an incredible experience and I’m going to live it to the fullest!”

Stephanie Pasquino chose her abroad program based on her interest in healthcare. She is now in Khon Kaen, Thailand as a student in CIEE’s Community & Public Health program, a country with more than 50 cases. Currently, Pasquino says that “Visitors and Thai citizens returning from the high-risk areas will be subject to 14 days home quarantine…Khon Kaen University and CIEE have restricted us from traveling to those countries.”

On March 1, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) released their “Guidance for Student Foreign Travel for Institutions of Higher Education.” The advisory stated that institutions should “Consider postponing or canceling student foreign exchange programs” and that those schools with students abroad “should consider asking current program participants to return to their home country.”

Despite the CDC’s advisory, students are being told by their programs, and Wofford, that they will not be sent home at this time. However, because of the daily growth of the virus, Pasquino said, “it’s all up in the air.”

In an email sent to students currently abroad, Amy Lancaster, Dean of International Programs, wrote, “Several programs have offered students the option of taking courses remotely from the United States when/if feasible. Wofford College will support those who select this option and encourage you to contact us if you are considering returning to the United States.”

Harley expressed thanks to Wofford for not requiring her to return home like other students were having to do. Although Fowler decided to return home, he said, “It is disappointing to leave so early, but life does happen. It is out of everyone’s control. However, for the short time that I was in Milan, I made memories that I will keep forever.” 

View Comments (1)
$0
$500