What’s Happening To ‘Boys’ Bid Day?

Members of the Panhellenic community enjoy getting to integrate the new members they receive less than a week prior

IFC and Panhellenic discuss safety concerns during the event

A buffet of Moe’s and chatter afloat, the recent IFC-Panhellenic meeting on March 5 began positively. A room occupied by Greek life leadership, along with Roberta Bigger, ’81, Dean of Students, and Matthew Hammett, Assistant Dean of Students for Student Involvement, met in the Tony White Theater to discuss safety concerns.

This meeting was prompted by a recent Greek-led event, known campus-wide as ‘Boys’ Bid Day,’ a get-together intended to both celebrate new pledge classes for both the Panhellenic and Interfraternity Council (IFC) organizations and join both Greek and non-Greek students in kicking off the spring semester. This past year, however, safety violations were more extreme, with a few students going to the hospital and some instances of non-students causing liability issues in the Greek village. While initially this event was met with a brief suspension for the Panhellenic community, in order to cease safety concerns, events were restored and both Bigger and Hammett decided to meet with the Greek community to brainstorm safety suggestions.

The organizations present responded passionately when asked about why ‘Boys’ Bid Day’ is important. They felt that the event is a chance to fully immerse new members into their new organizations and a fun chance for both Greek and non-Greek students to dress up. One member of IFC commented that for new members in Greek life, this is their “first time being celebrated as a part of that organization.” 

Those in the Panhellenic community expressed a change in culture, from limited interaction with freshmen due to recruitment rules during the fall semester to finally immersing the freshmen into their new organizations. Either way, both Panhellenic and IFC students acknowledged that there are few other times when everyone, including Greeks, non-Greeks, and inter-Greek groups, are together like ‘Boys’ Bid Day.’

Despite the positive aspects of the celebration, several students admitted that as freshmen, there was pressure put on the day to be the “best day ever” and a “scare factor.” Consequently, the culture surrounding this day can often encourage “over-drinking and as a result, people passing out…or throwing up at [fraternity] houses,” said one fraternity member. Several students admitted that an all-day celebration can encourage unsafe levels of alcohol consumption, especially with such strict rules in the fall semester.

Developing potential solutions was more difficult, because while some suggestions centered around requirements for the entire Greek community or student body, other students felt that responsibility needs to ultimately fall on the individual. Some group suggestions included a one-day exception for the Greek houses to open early to ensure students are in one central area, a risk-management workshop with speakers on the week prior to the event, requiring sober sisters and party monitors, addressing the day formally with the administration and setting up an IFC/Panhellenic Committee to start planning the event in the fall. Many students felt that formal acknowledgement of the event could give organizations the opportunity to plan better, including providing food, safety precaution courses and alternative events for students.

Some students, however, expressed concern that the organizations can provide some support, but the rest of the fault needs to fall on the individual. While some suggested punishment for extreme cases, one member of the IFC countered, saying “If you start punishing people for getting too drunk, they’re not going to want to call [amnesty] and will insist on being over a toilet,” which can make situations more dangerous.

Bigger agreed, insisting that “the amnesty policy is so important to keeping people healthy.” She also suggested a committee to begin planning the event, so that there will be more events for students to enjoy, so that the day is less associated with “getting drunk and acting dumb.” Either way, solutions are being developed to help counter the problem of over-consumption of alcohol during ‘Boys’ Bid Day.’ Next year will see a change in culture, with more implemented precautions and an emphasis on keeping students safe, whether in the form of a planning committee or formalizing of the event.

$0
$500