Scandals And Saints

The grandeur of the fraternity houses along Wofford’s Greek Village is tarnished by the reputation of the no-good sororities. Photo courtesy of Mark Olencki

In wake of Wofford’s Boys’ Bid Day scandal, sororities blamed, fraternities awarded

Written by N. E. Quality, contributing writer

After the events that took place on February 21, 2020 to celebrate the pledging of students to on-campus fraternities (most commonly referred to as Boys’ Bid Day), many sorority-affiliated girls were sent to the nearby hospital due to the effects of alcohol. As a result, many sorority activities were suspended, and most were instructed to cancel their various upcoming functions and formals. Upon hearing that her formal may be cancelled, one Senior Zeta Theta Delta member lamented on her troubles.

“It’s just, like, so unbelievable, and just ridiculously unfair. My dress came straight from Lulu’s (use my coupon code RICH20 for 20% off), and my daddy is going to be furious! Not to mention, my date Brad is going to be emotionally crushed. I know how much he wanted to watch me from the edge of the dance floor while I screamed my heart out to any basic song I kind of recognized.”

Our deepest sympathies are extended to the women warriors that fell victim to these tragic and trying times.

In contrast to punishments inflicted on the sorority women, the college has recently chosen to highlight the shining character and admirable morals that are consistently upheld by the fraternities present on campus. This achievement has been named as the “Sigma Iota Kappa Endowment,” or SIKE for short. While the official amount of money that will be awarded to the fraternities is unknown, it has been confirmed that the funds are required to be used to cover “necessary functioning fraternity costs.” Such expenses include but are not limited to the purchase of various beverages (especially those to be spilled), repairing severely damaged TVs, purchasing of new platforms, couches, and various parts of sound equipment to increase the overall noise level.

When interviewed, the president of Delta Upsilon Mu Beta, John-Chad Dylan III, was beaming. “I totally didn’t expect this honor. Honestly, I don’t know what we did to earn it. All I know is that I filled my Yeti cup with Maker’s Mark and went to class. After that, I guess I was caught up in being really moral or whatever. Usually stuff is just handed to me anyways.” 

After this comment, Dylan opened a can of Bud Light and said he had to start early for his fraternity’s weekly celebration of objectifying women and drinking excessively. This interview reminded me that truly, not all heroes wear capes. Some wear Barbour.

These events make me question what it means to be a Terrier, because, at the end of the day, it’s the Wofford way that always ends up on top. And how could a woman ever even dream of achieving the legendary qualities of their male counterparts: over-drinking, over-serving, and under-performing. 

$0
$500