A Tip Of The Hat

OG&B acknowledges and thanks Wofford community during troubling times

Higher education is one of the many facets of our world that has had to make concessions to the coronavirus’ nondiscriminatory invasion. Wofford College has not been exempt from the consequences of this global pandemic. In light of this, everyone within the Wofford community, from administration to students, has been forced to accept necessary measures taken to uphold the health and wellness of our community-at-large. We at “The Old Gold & Black” acknowledge that the decisions recently made by the college have been made under extreme pressure amid undesirable circumstances made even worse by the ever-changing nature of the virus and its toll. However, despite these circumstances, we would like to acknowledge what we feel have been responsible and considerate decisions on the part of the college.

When news of the virus began to overwhelm our nation’s media, Wofford’s administration did not panic. Social gatherings and other events were cancelled out of caution. In the wake of other colleges and universities sending students home immediately, Wofford held out and waited to determine if this was the sole option. Although initially there was concern among the student body that the college was not addressing the issues at hand in an appropriate manner, we recognize in hindsight the many nuances related to sending students home that needed to be addressed before taking this step. We believe the decision for students to vacate campus was made not out of haste, but out of deliberation and genuine concern for students’ disinclination to leave campus.

In keeping with the tendency not to rush into decisions without having evaluated a number of options, as well as the trickle-down effects of those options, Wofford contemplated the decision for students not to return to campus for the semester in a matter of time that was, again, hopeful and considerate, yet still timely. A plan was even created and set in place for when students would collect their belongings before state-mandated shelter-in-place orders were enacted and consequently postponed these plans. 

Wofford also announced to students that they would receive prorated refunds for room and board with respect to the final seven weeks of the semester that they would not be living on campus. This decision was made despite the fact that the college would still have to cover the many expenses associated with room and board services, which are incurred whether students inhabit the campus or not.

Even when other colleges and universities decided to hold virtual graduation ceremonies, or to postpone until a later date, Wofford held out until it was determined without question that it would not be possible to conduct a traditional graduation ceremony in May. When a date was decided upon for late August—pending government mandates would permit large gatherings by then—Rebecca Liakos at the Wofford Bookstore emailed students asking for their home addresses so she could ship them their caps and gowns. This service was free of shipping charges for students.

Soon after students were sent home, the Office of Marketing and Communications began sending issues of a new newsletter, Conquer and Prevail, via e-mail. The newsletter is a product of the times and is a way to make the Wofford community feel connected despite physical distance.

While students waited for classes to resume, faculty and staff went through training to acquire tools for e-learning; this reminds students that we are not alone in the awkward attempt to try to adapt to this method of learning. Those teaching and leading have been frank about the challenges posed by virtual instruction but have nonetheless been attentive to the needs of students as best they can and have embraced flexibility.

The Wellness Center has been a leader in making themselves available to the Wofford Community in this time of heightened anxiety, fear and concern. They have hosted virtual counseling sessions and have been active on social media, encouraging students to seek ways to find rest and peace. The Resilience Project, led by a group made up of both students and professors, has also been on the forefront of Wofford’s response to this virus. They continue to spread messages of hope and solidarity.

Clubs and organizations like WAC, as well as the Office of Diversity and Inclusion and Greek sororities and fraternities, have been active throughout this unanticipated time as well. They too have contributed to efforts of unity, comfort and engagement, as well as philanthropy, within the Wofford community via social media.

COVID-19 has not stopped The Mungo Exchange either. The Career Center continues to offer their regular services, which have been adapted to the circumstances. They have also offered numerous virtual information sessions for networking, post-graduate and fellowship studies and other topics. The Office of Entrepreneurship hosted the Terrier Startup Challenge as well; the office and its startup contestants promoted the challenge via social media beginning Wednesday, April 22. 

Even in this trying time, maybe especially in this trying time, the Wofford community has embodied the conquer and prevail attitude. Once again, we at “The Old Gold & Black” would like to thank the decision-makers, as well as all of the students, faculty and staff who are a part of the body that has had to adjust and adhere to these decisions amid a climate marked by the unknown. Additionally, we appreciate the concerted effort the college has made to make us feel connected; we believe this speaks to the values of the college and its focus on community. The spirit of perseverance is alive and well with Terriers across the country, and for that, we can be thankful.

View Comments (1)
$0
$500