Terrier News Update 3: White House Down

Welcome to the Terrier News Update. We look at all the top headlines and form a coherent briefing on all of the news spreading across the nation, giving you updates every two weeks. Feel free to contact our editors if you have any suggestions.

Coronavirus hits White House

News feeds were dominated last week with news of coronavirus in the White House. Both President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump tested positive for the virus and as of Oct. 7, ABC reports as many as 34 White House staffers may have contracted the virus.

President Trump has received scrutiny all over the internet and in the news over his response to the virus and a potential “superspreader event” at the White House, according to the Washington Post.

The president plans to continue his campaign against Democratic Nominee Joe Biden, although both parties have now agreed to cancel the second presidential debate.

In other coronavirus news, the World Health Organization reported over 350,000 new cases in one day, and Dr. Anthony Fauci reports that Coronavirus surges will likely continue to be a top health concern for the remainder of the year. According to the New

York Times, a White House official has said that a vaccine might be possible by January, although the Guardian report says it could be closer to 2021 before one is widely available.

First debates

Both the Presidential and Vice Presidential debates have taken place, with the key feature being the response to the virus by the Trump administration.

With the presidential election only 2 weeks away, we at the Old Gold and Black would like to encourage everyone to vote in what could be a landmark election.

Economy in the fourth quarter

The White House is rushing to approve a second stimulus bill before the election, but is still meeting resistance in the senate, reports Fox News. According to the Associated Press, Trump said in an interview: “I would like to see a bigger stimulus package than either the Democrats or Republicans are offering.”

The deal has not yet reached approval, and many experts are speculating how the results of the election will impact a possible second stimulus bill.

Other stories

The FBI arrested six members of a militia group on October seventh, who were reportedly planning on kidnapping Michigan Governor Gretchen

Whitmer. Fox News also reports details of their strategy, involving plans to firebomb police cars and other acts of state terrorism.

While it has not been confirmed, Governor Whitmer suspects that the plots were created in response to Trump’s “stand back and stand by” comment to White nationalists at the debate on September 29th, reports the Associated Press. It is unclear exactly what President Trump meant by this statement, but he has since clarified saying, “let law enforcement do their work.”

$0
$500