Wofford Outdoors Club Takes COViD-19 In Stride

Glendale Shoals, a Wofford-owned location for outdoor studying

With COVID-19 restrictions, outdoor activities are the way to go

With the social distancing measures of COVID-19, many clubs at Wofford obviously have had trouble meeting. Many have made the move outdoors, but fortunately for the Outdoors Club,, they are already quite accustomed to this.

Grayson Murray ‘23, President of the Outdoors Club agreed. 

“There are some clubs that are obviously at a disadvantage due to [the] coronavirus,” Murray said. “Thankfully, I don’t consider us one. Yes, we’ve had a harder time planning things because of all the questions surrounding how safe it is to hike. But I think that right now, the Outdoors Club is a perfect club to be a part of.”

There are other questions surrounding the hiking aspect of the club, including numbers allowed on trips, mask usage while hiking and carpooling issues. Had COVID-19 not come around, the club would have already taken two trips. Instead, it has not been able to take any.

Murray explained, “This is a completely abnormal semester for the Outdoors Club. We want to get hiking as soon as we can, but it isn’t easy. Everything needs to be thought through by administration and the Wellness Center staff. Thankfully, that has now been done, so hopefully we will be out soon.”

Though this has posed a break in hiking trips, the group has been meeting for study sessions at Glendale once a week. 

If you are interested in joining or checking out the Outdoors Club, the Instragram is @woffordoutdoors, or you can email Grayson Murray at [email protected] to be added to the GroupMe.

$0
$500