2020 Security And Fire Safety Report Recap

The+report+includes+data+from+the+previous+3+years%2C+photo+by+Natalie+Aversano.+
The report includes data from the previous 3 years, photo by Natalie Aversano.

Statistics of Crimes, Fire Hazards Wofford’s campus and surrounding public land

Every year, Wofford makes a Fire and Safety report available to students and faculty as well as to visitors and guests of the general public. Since the passing of the Clery Act of 1990, all institutions of higher education that receive any amount of federal funding are required to publish an annual Security and Fire Safety Report.

Each report is made available to Wofford students, faculty, and guests and consists of fire safety logs, crime reports and statistics, fire safety and security policy descriptions, sexual assault and missing student policies, as well as This article will briefly recap each of these sections of the report.

The fire and safety logs, with data from 2017, 2018 and 2019 listed three small fires that caused minimal property damage on Wofford’s campus. One occurred in 2017, two in 2018 and none in 2019. The report lists the location, damage, cost and cause of each fire. There is also information that pertains to fire safety included, such as fire and safety equipment on campus, fire drill routines and a list of items considered fire hazards that are prohibited in residence hall rooms.

Crimes and reported offenses occurring on Wofford’s main campus in the previous three years appeared in the report as well. There were 15 listed reports of rape on campus property, 12 in on-campus student housing. There has not been a reported robbery on campus since one reported incident in 2017. Additionally, two disciplinary referrals were listed for carrying or possessing weapons, and there was a singular instance of arson reported.

The most statistically significant category of the report is the section on alcohol and drug violations. There have been 610 disciplinary referrals for liquor law violations in those pre- ceding three years and 81 disciplinary referrals for drug abuse violations. There is also a chart that lists all reports of hate crimes 2016, 2017 and 2018 on Wofford’s campus. The only listed hate crimes were two reports of racially charged vandalism in 2017.

A set of statistics titled “Violence Against Women Act Violations on Main Campus,” which lists instances of domestic violence, dating violence and stalking, showed two reports of domestic violence on campus, six reports of dating violence and two reports of stalking.

In addition to these statistics, the report includes general information about procedures, protocols and definitions of terminology that pertains to safety. For more information and statistics from Wofford’s 2020 Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, visit www.wofford.edu.

$0
$500