The Proposal To Keep Our Students Safe

These coasters change color when they come in contact with a date-rape drug. Campus Union’s new bill will distribute these around campus to protect students. Photo courtesy of Drink Safe.

New tools to fight date rape drugs on campus 

In a recent proposal passed by Wofford’s Campus Union, drug detecting coasters are being distributed around various places on campus. The bill was written by Jordan Willey ‘23 and Woods Wooten ‘23, in hopes to prevent any date rape drugs from being used on campus. While Wofford’s campus is smaller than most state schools, the threat of date rape drugs is still prominent. 

“These coasters are a great way to keep our students safe in a practical, discreet, and cost-effective way,” Willey said. “With more and more students venturing beyond Wofford’s campus to other colleges, it is important that they have resources available to keep them safe. These coasters that Woods and I found will be a step in the right direction towards that goal.”

As this is a growing issue on campuses across the nation, actions such as these are becoming increasingly necessary.. With the hope of campus reopening as the national distribution of the coronavirus vaccine begins, Campus Union focused on the future safety of student gatherings. 

Each coaster can be used twice for testing drinks and 500 have been ordered. The coasters will be placed in the Greek Village, every gender-neutral bathroom, as well as the Campus Safety office.

As this product can be used for all students, it is commonly known that young women are often the targets of these attacks. When asked if more ideas like this one should be proposed in the Campus Union General Assembly, Isabel Harlow ’23 said, “.I think any proposal that seeks to enhance the safety of students on campus is a good proposal. So of course, I would like to see more proposals like this occur. Personally, I think you could start by getting key cards to have access to all dorm rooms again. What ensures the safety of students more than being able to get into whatever dorm you are closest to?”

Currently, all dorms on Wofford’s campus have limited key card access. Students can only use their Wofford identification card at their residence hall; in past years, any student could use their card to scan into other residence halls as well as their own. This change is in accordance with the school’s coronavirus guidelines that limit the number of students that can gather in one place.

$0
$500