For What It’s Earth

Wofford terrier showing the Earth some loving in celebration of Earth Day. The annual holiday is taking place on April 22. Illustration courtesy of Walker Antonio.

Celebrating Earth (every) day

Earth Day is April 22, a holiday for supporting environmental protection since 1970. This year’s Earth Day theme is “Restore Our Earth” and earthday.org has multiple projects that individuals can participate in both in-person and virtually. These include the Canopy Project, the Great Global Cleanup, Global Earth Challenge and others. 

The website also includes a list of registered Earth Day events across the world. Due to COVID-19, many of these events will be held virtually, giving Wofford students the ability to participate in many of these seminars and celebrations without having to travel to them. 

However, these registered events are not the only ways to celebrate Earth Day. Wofford students can show their love for the planet by making an effort to lower their carbon footprint. Efforts like reducing the use of single-use plastics, recycling items that can be recycled and reusing materials when possible can help in reducing an individual’s waste. Eating a more plant-based diet full of locally grown and in-season items can also help in having a greener lifestyle.  

Many people also see Earth Day as a chance to connect with and celebrate the natural world. Wofford student Paige Mahoney ‘22 said she will be spending Earth Day at the Goodall Environmental Studies Center. 

“I love going out to Glendale when the weather is nice and hope to do so for Earth Day,” she said. “It’s a great place to go for a walk and enjoy nature.” 

Cameron Sonefeld ‘22 said that she will also be visiting the Goodall Center to spend time in nature and do homework. Sonefeld said that she will also be emailing her legislators on Earth Day to ask them to create more policies for environmental protection. 

Along with the Goodall Environmental Studies Center, Wofford students can also visit local trails at Croft State Park, Pacolet River Heritage Preserve, the Mary Black Rail Trail and more. On campus, students can also enjoy the Liberty Trail, a 0.5 mile trail that starts on McDowell Street behind the Greek Village. 

This Earth Day also marks the fifth anniversary of the signing of the Paris Agreement. The Biden Administration has chosen this day to host a Leaders’ Climate Summit where leaders of major economies will meet to discuss climate change. This summit comes as part of Biden’s commitment to rejoin and strengthen the United Nations’ carbon-cutting agreement. 

Mahoney said that while she always looks forward to celebrating Earth Day each year, she thinks that it is important that people show their love for nature everyday. 

“Earth Day is a great holiday,” she said, “but we really should be celebrating the planet every day.” 

Earth Day is celebrated at all levels, from college students enjoying a picnic outside to world leaders meeting to discuss climate change. For more information about ways to get involved this earth day, Wofford students can visit earthday.org. 

Following shortly after Earth Day, National Arbor Day is being celebrated on April 30. This holiday is about celebrating trees and encourages individuals to join local efforts in planting trees in their communities. 

Each year, the Arbor Day Foundation hosts tree planting events to celebrate the holiday. However, Arbor Day this year will look a little different due to COVID-19 and the restrictions of large gatherings. The Arbor Day Foundation still encourages people to volunteer if events cannot be held, including planting trees at home, going for a hike and becoming educated about the benefits that trees provide. 

During these stressful times, the Arbor Day Foundation encourages individuals to experience the stress relieving benefits that trees can have on people, while also enjoying natural spaces. More information about the holiday can be found at arborday.org

$0
$500