WAAPI: Year In Review

Members of WAAPI attend a movie night. The organization held fun events this year to celebrate API culture. Photo courtesy of Sopharvathdy Vorn.

A look into efforts to uplift the Asian and Pacific Islander communities at Wofford

The 2020-2021 academic year saw many more conversations about diversity, equity and inclusion at Wofford since, perhaps, 1964 . A key player in these conversations was Wofford Asian American and Pacific Islanders (WAAPI), an organization new to campus in 2020.

Alumna Vera Oberg ‘20 founded WAAPI in the spring of 2020; the organization was adopted by younger leadership and became operational last fall. 

Sopharvathdy Vorn ‘22, WAAPI’s secretary, said that the organization “aims to foster a community for Asian, Asian-American, and Pacific Islander (AAPI) students at Wofford College. We promote the interests of AAPI with the goal of optimizing their experiences at Wofford.”

“Additionally,” Vorn said, “we strive to promote diversity and unity among AAPI students and allies on Wofford’s campus.”

Over the past year, WAAPI held events like academic lectures, movie nights and voting education events to raise awareness about AAPI politics, society and culture. WAAPI also holds a strong social media presence on Instagram (@woffordaapi) through infographics and student features.

WAAPI’s presence on campus comes at a time when hate crimes and anti-Asian discrimination are on the rise as a result of the COVID pandemic. 

WAAPI’s archivist, Megan Santos ‘21, said, “In light of the hate crimes in the API community, we have been fervently battling to break any stereotypes of being the ‘silent, quiet, and compliant’ ones. Both on campus and in the community, we are using our voice to help bring awareness to these awful occurrences.”

Vorn said that the organization struggled with being vulnerable to the Wofford community this year. 

She said, “creating an environment that fosters inclusion and the room for others to open up voluntarily is not a simple process. We understand that this comes with establishing a culture that always lends open ears and hearts: a safe place. Establishing WAAPI as this haven is a growing process where we not only listen but celebrate all facets of our culture.”

WAAPI leaders hope that the Wofford community will listen to and learn from their voice on campus.

Santos said, “We, as an organization, are learning and growing as well, but we can’t do it alone. To recognize the realities, the struggles and the celebrations that the AAPI community deals with goes a long way in the effort to break the stigmas surrounding us.”

WAAPI’s message to Wofford is this: “We are not silent, never have been. But are you taking the time to listen and act on it?”

$0
$500