The First Years have spoken

The new First Year Delegates pictured in order Lily Butler, Sara Burns Gibson, Walker Devers, Devin Stewart, Marc Rivera, Marga van der Linde.

Freshman Delegate election decided

The week of Sept. 19, the first year students decided who would represent them in the Campus Union Assembly. They were sworn in under the Campus Union by-laws Monday, Oct. 4.

After a delay of election results due to a technical issue, the students met in the entrance to the Mungo Student Center where Student Body President Dylan Goshorn ‘22 and Vice President John Jeffrey ‘22, who also serves as the Elections and Nominations Chair, accompanied by Treasurer Alicia Jones ‘22 and Secretary Kiersten Smith ‘24, announced the winners. 

Lily Butler ‘25, Walker Devers ‘25, Sara Burns Gibson ‘25, Marc Rivera ‘25, Devin Stewart ‘25 and Marga van der Linde ‘25 were selected to represent the freshman class. These newly elected first years will be responsible for proposing two bills in the Campus Union assembly should they seek re-election, as per the Campus Union by-laws. 

The delegates, when asked what their aspirations and goals were for this year, said the following: 

“My goal at Wofford is to make sure that every student feels at home and also feels like they make a difference in the school. I hope that through Campus Union I am able to connect with more students in my class and make their experience at Wofford more personal.” – Butler ‘25

“As a freshman delegate, I want to continue bringing the Wofford community together! I have only been here a few weeks, but I think I can speak for the entire student body and say that the Wofford family is unlike any other school. This unique community is what drew me here, and I think, if we continue bringing everyone together through different events and ideas, Wofford will continue being the best place we know.” – Gibson ‘25

“I will strive to make Wofford more inclusive and focus on building overall unity for the community within Wofford.”- Stewart ‘25

“Just a willingness to listen and try my hardest to give people the experience they want is important. Obviously, I want to leave Wofford better than I left it, but being a freshman, that’ll take a little time to figure that out.” – Devers ‘25

“I want us to grow not only as individuals, but grow as a school. I want to help further build an environment that encourages divergent thinking, individuality, and authenticity. That is my goal.” – Rivera ‘25

“As an International Student, my hopes and plans for Wofford Student Body 2021-2022 is to incorporate new ways of thinking and offer an international perspective on a wide spectrum of things. I am also very excited to learn how the American Student Body system works and to learn everything associated with it!” – van der Linde ‘25

With the new delegates in position, students wait in anticipation to see what accomplishments they will bring forth to make Wofford a better place. Campus Union meets every Monday at 6:30 PM. All students, delegates or not, are encouraged to propose bills that could benefit everyday life at Wofford.

$0
$500