Reopening the Greek Village

The Pavilion at the Greek Village. Photo courtesy of Anna Lee Hoffman.

What will the Row look like this year?

Friday, Sept. 17, the Greek Village opened for the 2021-2022 academic year. With the rules everchanging, what do Wofford’s fraternities have to say about this fresh start?

Over the summer, Wofford administration told fraternities that the Greek Village, commonly known as “the Row,” would open as they had before COVID-19 restrictions were put into place. As the opening approached, the guidelines were constantly subject to change.

Christian Wright ’22, president of Kappa Sigma at Wofford, offered his opinion on this subject. 

“The Row just isn’t fun when all the houses aren’t open together” Wright stated, referring back to the weekend of Sept. 17.

Wright explained that not only is the Row being open beneficial to students, it also benefits Campus Safety, “Campo officers have told me it is easier on them if the Row is open. The ‘contained madness’ is easier for them to control… I can say that Campus Safety Friday night was happy.”

“It was nice to have the Row open again. I just wish that I could’ve seen my friends at all the houses,” Elizabeth Harper ’23 stated. “ It was weird only having certain ones open each night.”

Many students feel the same as Harper, hoping that these restrictions will be lifted and the Row will be normal again. 

Jordan Willey ’23, social chair of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, was also able to answer some questions regarding reopening the Row, as he also reached out to Dean Ashley Owen for answers.

“Originally, we were not given a plan of reopening, hence why I sent an email to Dean Owen to find out what their plan for reopening was,” Willey explained. “ I was delighted to hear they were receptive to our concerns and informed us during a meeting the next day that they planned to fully open the Row.”

In a recent update, the Greek Row will be fully open Thursday through Saturday with all houses starting the weekend of Oct. 1.

“Campo has been a good presence at the Row in that they have had a very limited presence there, from what I have gathered,” Willey stated, when asked about his experience with Campus Safety. “ Hopefully, this stays that way as we move to a full opening.” 

Willey hopes to have the Row back to normal, like it was his freshman year at Wofford. He was also happy that the administration, especially Dean Hurley, is seen to be “an ally with us in making Wofford the best it can be while keeping logical steps to keep us safe and healthy.”

$0
$500