Recruitment closet: making recruitment more accessible and affordable

+A+graphic+for+the+recruitment+closet+shared+on+the+Wofford+Fraternity+and+Sorority+Life+Instagram+account.+Graphic+created+by+Anna+Fulbright.
A graphic for the recruitment closet shared on the Wofford Fraternity and Sorority Life Instagram account. Graphic created by Anna Fulbright.

Sorority and fraternity recruitment can be emotionally, physically and financially draining for potential new members (PNMs) looking to join a Greek organization. However, two Wofford students have come up with a solution that will hopefully relieve some of this stress. 

Roommates Carolina Hughes ‘22 and Grayson Carter ‘22 came up with the idea of a recruitment closet one night in their dorm living room in order to help ease some of the burdens that PMNs face throughout the recruitment process. 

The closet will provide PMNs with outfit options that are not only free for them to wear but also appropriate for the different, dress-coded recruitment rounds.

“Our desired goal was to make recruitment more accessible to everyone and allow PNMs to feel more confident in their recruitment outfits,” Carter said. 

Hughes explained that between the dues associated with recruitment and the outfits that PNMs may have to buy, recruitment can be an expensive process. 

“We wanted to make sure that every single potential new member going through the recruitment process would feel comfortable and confident in their outfit choices,” Hughes explained, “without having to break the bank to purchase something they may or may not ever wear again.”

Members of each sorority can donate clothes by reaching out to their organization’s liaison. These liaisons include Winston Jarrett (Zeta Tau Alpha), Bladen Bates (Kappa Delta), Caroline Eddy (Delta Delta Delta) and Virginia Flora Davis (Kappa Alpha Theta). 

Sorority members are encouraged to donate a diverse variety of clothes in different sizes and styles to give PNMs a variety of outfit options. 

“In our closet, we have a variety of different clothing styles, sizes, shoes, and accessories that are available to any PNM who is looking for the perfect outfit for any night of the recruitment process,” Winston Jarret 22’ said.

The process has been organized in such a way to ensure that the identity of the PNMs using the recruitment closet will remain completely anonymous. 

Rachel Evatt ‘22, a participating Gamma Chi, said, “The process is anonymous so that PNMs feel comfortable and confident in the clothes they wear during rush.”  

PNMs can access the recruitment closet though reaching out to their Gamma Chis. In turn, Gamma Chis will reach out to the sorority liaisons who will send a message to their chapter along with information about the sizing and style preference of the PNM. 

Then, the Gamma Chi will gather and send pictures of potential outfits to the PNM for them to pick the one that would make them feel most confident.  Gamma Chis will arrange the clothing pickup with the liaison from that organization. After recruitment, the PNMs will return the clothing to a designated area in the Student Mungo Center. 

“If you are a potential new member, reach out to your gamma chi if you are interested in borrowing clothes; we would love to help you find the perfect outfit for any night of recruitment!” Hughes said. 

There is also a similar option for men who decide to go through recruitment and would like to access appropriate clothing options. 

“The PNMs are able to reach out to myself or Dean Lawton in Student Success and we help to provide them with the items they need for Recruitment, either via a loan from an upperclassman or purchasing on their behalf,” said Ashley Owen, assistant dean of students for leadership programs and fraternity and sorority life. “We take it on a case-by-case basis.” 

“I’m thrilled that both of these options are now in place for our potential new members and hope that we continue to remove as many barriers as possible for students wishing to participate in the fraternity and sorority experience on campus.” Owen said. 

More information about the recruitment closet can be found on the Wofford Fraternity and Sorority Life Instagram (@woffordfsl) or through reaching out to Dean Owen or Dean Lawton. 

$0
$500