Greek life looks to diversify

Photo courtesy of nphchq.org.
The logo for the Divine 9 NPHC fraternities  sororities. Members of the Wofford community are asking for more NPHC organizations on campus.
Photo courtesy of nphchq.org. The logo for the Divine 9 NPHC fraternities sororities. Members of the Wofford community are asking for more NPHC organizations on campus.

Following recruitment for Wofford’s various Greek organizations, many aspects of Greek life are still being unfulfilled in regard to the school’s promise to bring National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) organizations to campus. 

NPHC is composed of nine historically African American fraternities and sororities. This is not to be confused with the similarly named National Panhellenic Conference (NPC), which consists of 26 women’s Greek-letter sororities. 

Wofford’s Interfraternity Council (IFC) and Panhellenic have recently drafted a letter addressed to administration regarding this issue and are calling for the immediate re-installation of these Greek organizations on campus. 

This charge is being led by IFC Vice President of Recruitment Jordan Willey ‘23 and Kappa Delta delegate to Panhellenic Lizzie Richards ‘23. 

The letter was addressed to President Samhat and declares the college’s handling of creating space for NPHC organizations to have fallen short of the standards the school presents, declaring it unfair due to the lack of meeting space. 

While it has been regarded by  the school that there is an apparent decline in membership for NPHC organizations, the main point cited for this is not having individual houses representing NPHC fraternities and sororities. 

“It is unfair for Diversity organizations to be forced into one common meeting place for social events while the other 10 are each separate entities,” Richards said. 

“One of the most impactful things you can do as a representative and leader of any organization is listen,” Willey said. “As VP of recruitment of IFC, one of (my) biggest initiatives has been increasing diversity and inclusion in our Greek life.”

He says that it is with this goal that he reached out to students who have been involved in this push for NPHC chapters since the beginning of their Wofford career. He wanted to learn what he could do to help. 

The advice that he was given was to use his platform to “express support and unity,” ultimately sending an impactful message to the college and community.

The school has made promises regarding this initiative in the past, but there has been little to no progress seen on campus. However, Gass is not letting it fall by the wayside.

“I’m pushing for all NPHC organizations to be on campus. I feel as though that they will (1) diversify our campus even more, (2) bring forth an outlet of financial resources, (3) bring forth a cultural paradigm shift in regard to more community service inspired in the Spartanburg community,” Gass said.

Gass believes that advertising in a way that is compelling to students will help bring interest to NPHC organizations. Additionally, he believes the college should build seperate houses for these organizations on campus.   

“Until we are all equally represented, our efforts and demands will not stop,” Willey said.

Willey, a declared candidate for Campus Union President and Gass, a candidate for Campus Union Vice President, are expected to make this  issue  a part of their respective campaigns. 

$0
$500