Ash Wednesday Service held on campus

Photo courtesy of Mark Olencki. Reverend Ronald Robinson blessing those who came for the Ash Wednesday service.

Ash Wednesday is well regarded as the Christian holiday celebrating prayer and the beginning of fasting and falls, typically the first day before Lent, which is 6 weeks before Easter. 

It is primarily observed by Catholics, Lutherans, Moravians, Anglicans, Methodists, Nazarenes and many from the Reformed tradition. 

For Wofford’s Ash Wednesday, students gathered in the chapel at Old Main to receive their ashes by Rev. Ron Robinson, who commented on the speciality of Wofford’s offered service.

“(The) majority of students come from backgrounds where Ash Wednesday is a part of their experience,” Robinson said. “What makes it special is at Wofford you see a lot of participation by students who come together and focus on time and preparation on their faith. The Ash Wednesday service is also open to all who want to come, no matter of religion.” 

Ashes are typically burned from the palm leaves of the previous year’s Palm Sunday service, which is the Sunday service at Christian churches the week before Easter. Fasting is oftentime associated with Lent. However, this is typically only practiced by Catholics. 

Sarah Owens ‘23 was in attendance for the Ash Wednesday service. 

“For me, that was my first time participating in an Ash Wednesday service,” Owens said.. “I grew up in a baptist church and while we do not actively practice (Ash Wednesday) or Lent, I was still curious about the ceremony and what it entailed. Overall, I really enjoyed the short ceremony and would be interested in visiting another one in the near future. For Lent, I decided to add something good, which is to spend more time with God and the people that I care about.” 

Robinson spoke about committing to the Wofford tradition of Ash Wednesday and hopefully increasing participation. 

“At Wofford we really try to offer important events in the church year, we try to accommodate all religions and hopefully they know they are accepted for practicing their beliefs,” Robinson said. “We have found some creative ways to expand, such as putting blessed ashes in bags for people to take home to roommates.”

This was the first Ash Wednesday service held in the Chapel since the COVID-19 pandemic hit the Wofford community. 

$0
$500