Wellness Center now offering “Solution Sessions”

Photo by Anna Lee Hoffman.
The Wellness Center, which operates in the Hugh R. Black House on campus. The Wellness Center offers medical and counseling services appointments, Monday through Friday, 7:30-11:45 and 1-4 pm.
Photo by Anna Lee Hoffman. The Wellness Center, which operates in the Hugh R. Black House on campus. The Wellness Center offers medical and counseling services appointments, Monday through Friday, 7:30-11:45 and 1-4 pm.

The Wofford Wellness Center has announced that they are now offering “Solution Sessions” as a counseling services option. Solution Sessions are intended to help students resolve immediate problems or situations with the assistance of the confidential and professional counseling services staff. 

Solution Sessions are a counseling service that allows students to bring their conflicts, stresses or other concerns to a trusted counselor. This service is intended to be a supportive outlet for students who typically do not use counseling services, but find themselves in a situation where they need the professional guidance of a counselor. 

“When stressors arise, it can be helpful to quickly explore options with a safe, objective support person,” the counseling staff said. “Solution Sessions are confidential, like any other counseling session, and can provide some relief in the moment so that stressors do not compound or become overwhelming.” 

Many Wofford students seek support from the counseling staff, but may not be looking for a long-term counseling relationship. The staff is hopeful that this new service will allow these students the support they need, without the commitment of an ongoing counseling relationship.

Students are encouraged to not schedule more than one or two Solution Sessions. If the need arises for more sessions, the counseling staff suggests scheduling an appointment with their staff to establish an ongoing relationship with one of their professional counselors. 

The counseling staff is optimistic that this new service could help alleviate some of the scheduling issues that the counseling services have been facing. 

“We know that it can be hard to find an appointment for counseling and are always looking for ways to alleviate this issue,” the counseling staff said. “We are hoping that Solution Sessions will help the students that need a one time meeting quickly to find some helpful solutions in a supportive, confidential environment.” 

Emily Hathcock ‘23, the chair of the Campus Safety Wellness and Safety Committee, is excited about the addition of these new sessions. Hathcock works with the Wellness and Safety Committee to plan events that raise awareness throughout the Wofford campus about the importance of mental health. 

“I think the biggest issue with mental health at Wofford is that students feel like they need to be on all the time.” Hathcock said. “What I mean by this is that taking a break isn’t a norm for a lot of students on campus and that’s something we have to fix.”

The stresses of classes, sports, clubs, jobs, future careers and many other responsibilities are mentally taxing on college students, and students may not feel properly equipped to deal with these strains along with any additional stresses.

Whether it be a conflict with a roommate or friend, a disappointing grade, or simply a need for a trusted source to talk to, Solution Sessions should help alleviate these stresses.  

As a campus community, the counseling services staff encourages students to educate themselves about ways to promote an environment that fosters a positive approach and attitude towards mental health. 

“While our department is tasked with responding to many situations on campus and helping individuals, each member of the Wofford community can do their part,” the counseling staff said. “Educating ourselves about mental health, re-examining structures and belief systems that do not promote healthy beliefs and finding ways to be supportive in the ways that we can are all things each person on campus can do to improve the overall mental health on campus.” 

If you are a student wishing to schedule a Solution Session, you may visit the Wellness Center patient portal through the MyWofford tab and schedule an appointment at your convenience. The Wofford Mental Health Crisis Line can also be accessed at 864-597-4393. 

$0
$500