Wofford students are free to wear sunscreen

Philosophy major Hayden Raabe, from Anderson, S.C., imparts some wisdom with the help of Baz Luhrmann’s 1999 spoken song “Everybody’s Free (To Wear Sunscreen).”

Baz and I offer these words to be taken as they may. It’s true; they hold no truth more reliable ‘than my own meandering experience.’ But perhaps something may resonate. So please heed the advice, for it might help the person who thinks they need it the least.

Know where you live. Go into the city and figure out Spartanburg. Trying to do that will keep you occupied for four years. Then go to Greenville, Asheville, and Charlotte. Just make sure to wear sunscreen while you do it. ‘The long-term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists.’

It’s important to attend all your classes, but remember to miss one once in a while. And wherever you are, be present. The best place to learn that lesson is at Glendale Shoals. Become familiar.

Never worry about the question, “who all is there?” ‘Or know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubble gum.’ Go somewhere if you want to. You shouldn’t need a backing chorus every day of college.

Yes, The Village apartments are nice. Kind of – in a weird cookie cutter, different ice cream colored paint job sort of way. But don’t sell yourself short. Some people thrive in those young adult crock-pots, and some need something else. There are all kinds of living options in Spartanburg. Find one that suits you best.

Think about the future, but don’t dwell on it. And never feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your life. ‘The most interesting people I know didn’t know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives. Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don’t.’

Read books.

Watch the TV show Cosmos and learn something about our local star.

All students at Wofford have a very unique place in the world. Learn what yours is, and worry about little else.

— Hayden Raabe

Parting words of Wisdom from the Class of 2015: Sappy seniors reflect, share advice with younger Terriers

$0
$500