Let’s talk sports: What’s happened lately and what to expect

Bella Zeman spikes at Terrier Invitational. Wofford’s fall sports have been full of wins and losses for the student-athletes. Photo by Mark Olencki.

by Woods Wooten and Brandi Wylie

Wofford’s fall sports are in full swing for the Terriers. Women’s sports teams across campus have scored a number of wins as well as suffered through a couple losses.

The Terriers’ women’s soccer team worked to gain their second road win over Charleston Southern University, as the volleyball team gained their seventh win of the season.

The volleyball team won their first Terrier Invite thanks to Bella Zeman
‘24, who was awarded the MVP of the invite with an outstanding 39 kills.

“Winning the first Terrier Invitational was really special, especially with this year being my last year,” Zeman said. “It was a good confidence boost for the team going into conference play this weekend. It really showed how deep our roster is, and winning this tournament was a whole team effort.”

Zeman was also sure to recognize the support her team offered her in order to win a more personal victory.

“Winning the tournament MVP would not have been possible without the support of my coaches and my teammates,” Zeman explained. “The passers and setters made it possible for me to score the way I did and, without them, it would not have happened.”

Terrier volleyball, unfortunately, did not have victories against East Tennessee State University or University of Tennessee Chattanooga over the weekend, losing 1-3 and 0-3 respectively.

On Sept. 18, women’s soccer were tied with Charleston Southern University until a goal from Mia Bookhard ‘24 at the 50 minute mark elevated the Terriers to the victory, 2-1.

Women’s soccer, unfortunately, was unable to continue this winning streak into their Southern Conference game against Western Carolina University, losing 3-0.

The next three women’s soccer matches, against Furman University on Sept. 30, Mercer University on Oct. 6 and The Citadel on Oct. 9 will all be home games for the Terriers, played at Snyder Field.

Similarly, volleyball will have a home game stretch against Furman University on Sept. 28, University of North Carolina Greensboro on Sept. 30, Western Carolina University on Oct. 1 and The Citadel on Oct. 5.

Terriers can also expect to see a home football game this weekend for Family Weekend. We will play at 1:30 p.m. against Mercer University in Gibbs Stadium. The Terriers are ambitiously waiting for their first win of the season.

$0
$500