It’s been a while: Let’s welcome our staff!

Weekly OG&B meetings are lead by the editorial team. This years editorial team has been revamped and is excited to improve the paper. Photo by Anna Lee Hoffman.

The last time I wrote a letter from the editor, I was unsure if I would ever get the opportunity to write another, as we were amid the hiring process, so everything was still up in the air.

I am so thrilled to say, though, that I did get rehired and have an amazing team of editors to work alongside. Instead of the traditional copy editor and managing editor positions, we have decided to use both Julia Allen and Maddie Brewer as co-managing editors.

This will allow each of them to manage a certain number of writers each issue and help each one develop the necessary skills to not only succeed in collegiate journalism but to bring into their future careers as well.

We have also added the role of visual media editor, occupied by Anna Lee Hoffman, to manage all the photography and layout aspects of each issue. Her internship with “Charleston Magazine” has enhanced her ability to perform in this role.

Additionally, we decided to use Sidney Williams as our business manager, overseeing all aspects of finance and advertisement for our publication. Williams’s work in finance with Kappa Alpha Theta gives her all the necessary skills to perform. Shoutout for our first advertisement of the year being in issue one!

With this team working so diligently in their concentrated areas, I can focus on more big-picture aspects of the paper and help to improve upon each issue.

I have spent the summer working at Wofford’s Office of Marketing and Communications as well as holding a dual internship “Spartanburg Herald-Journal” and “Greenville News,” two of Gannett’s local papers in the Upstate region.

My work with OMC has taught me how to do in-depth research on topics and create stories with emotion. “The Goodletts’ big, fat Greek wedding” was my first article of this type of the semester.

My work with Gannett has taught me how to deliver news in a way that an audience wants to receive it and will remain intrigued. With this knowledge, the editorial team decided to do our first-annual orientation issue for The Old Gold & Black.

We received overwhelming support for this issue and found that we ran out of papers before we could distribute to all locations on campus. I am hopeful that this trend will continue for all this year’s issues.

I know that we would not be behind the pen and paper if it weren’t for you, the reader, so I just want to thank each of you for your consistent support of this student-run publication, and I cannot wait to show you what all we have in store for this year.

In the meantime, I hope you’ve enjoyed this issue of The Old Gold & Black, and I will talk to you all again soon.

$0
$500