Introducing the Office of Philanthropy and Engagement

Photo courtesy of Mark Olencki The newly renamed Office of Philanthropy and Engagement staff photo.

The Wofford College Office of Advancement announced in late August they have made the decision to change their title to the Office of Philanthropy and Engagement.

This is not the first time the office has changed their name. Initially they held the title of the Office of Development, then the Office of Advancement and now the Office of Philanthropy and Engagement.

As Nayef Samhat, president of Wofford College, discussed in the report on the state of the college, the name change is an effort to increase

the office’s engagement with alumni, students and the community.

Confusion among students and alumni surrounding the purpose and objectives of the Office of Advancement was the driving force be- hind the decision to adopt the title of Philanthropy and Engagement.

“I think when students heard of the Office of Advancement, they thought of construction, projects and new buildings,” said Young Alumni and Philanthropy Engagement Officer Dylan Goshorn ‘22. “The term was intended to imply an advancement

of the college; to provide opportunities for people and overall make the college better.”

The office hopes that this name change will provide clarity by high- lighting the two essential goals of the office: to amplify philanthropy to Wofford and to increase engagement among the Wofford community.

“Hopefully this name change will highlight the two areas that our office invests in. Philanthropy is the giving side, working with alumni and friends of the college that give and allow the college to grow,” Goshorn said. “Engagement, which is engaging with alumni and students and making sure that Homecoming, Class Reunions and Family Week- end are all attended.”

Engagement occurred the weekend of Oct. 1, with Family Weekend being in full swing at the college.

The office has also already executed their efforts to increase student en- gagement.

On Oct. 5th, students were invited to the front of Main Building at 8 a.m. for Wofford trivia and free cof- fee to celebrate “A Day for Wofford.”

Wofford is a lifelong experience, and the office wants to ensure that current students and alumni under- stand that Wofford is a part of their life still, no matter where they may find themselves.

Caroline Eddy ‘23 is already looking forward to coming back to cam- pus as an alumna.

“I plan on attending my class re- unions and homecomings,” Eddy said. “I am really excited to come back to Wofford and see the changes that will be made for years to come.”

OPE hopes that this name change will emphasize their engagement work with alumni and students such as Eddy, who are eager to keep their love of Wofford alive.

The office has also been work- ing with the alumni associations throughout the country. Recently, the Wofford club of the Lowcountry held a “Lowcountry Summer Send-off ” on Aug. 21 in Charleston. They are hoping to continue organizing more events such as this to bring to- gether the Wofford community, no matter where they are located.

Philanthropically, the Office works to build scholarship funds, increase opportunities for current students, further the Lifelong Learning Pro- gram, connect students and alumni and improve the overall Wofford ex- perience.

Events such as “A Day for Wofford” work to raise the financial means to establish new scholarship programs, research and student internship op- portunities, study abroad experienc- es and more possibilities.

Overall, the Office of Philanthropy and Engagement is optimistic about the name change. They are looking forward to focusing on improv- ing engagement with students and alumni and working to raise funds to provide opportunities and pro- grams that work to better Wofford as a whole.

The Office of Philanthropy and En- gagement is located in the Papado- poulos Building.

For more information, please visit the office’s website or email them at [email protected]

$0
$500