Wofford Mock Trial Set To Host Regional Tournament

Jordan Willey ’23 and Caroline ’Joy 23 pictured doing a moot court in preparation for the main tournament
Jordan Willey ’23 and Caroline Joy ’23 pictured doing a moot court in preparation for the main tournament

The Wofford Mock Trial team is set to host numerous schools Feb. 25 and 26. The team has been in preparation for this event for months, even hosting an interim course specifically for members of the team. 

This is not the first year the Wofford mock trial team has participated in the competition, but it is the first year Wofford is set to host the tournament. 

Jordan Willey ’23 who founded as well as serves as the president of the Wofford Mock Trial team, began this club in Fall 2020, during which COVID-19 prevented any in-person meeting. 

“I started the mock trial team to fill a need. Despite the high level of pre-law students at Wofford, very few opportunities existed for students to actively engage and take part in the legal process,”  Willey said. 

“I had done mock trials every year since sixth grade before coming to Wofford, and I knew how beneficial and transformative it was for me. Thus, during COVID-19, I had time to dedicate towards turning this passion project into the program it is today.”

“This year has been extremely successful. We have enlisted the help of (David Alvis, associate professor of government,) and a host of other Wofford legal alumni who have provided their expertise and wisdom in guiding the future of the team. Specifically, advancing our interim program and giving me more foundation and structure from which I instructed the interim course about.”

During the weekend of the competition, Georgia Institute of Technology, Furman University, Tennessee, Chattanooga, William & Mary, University of Florida, University of North Carolina Charlotte, Florida State University, the University of Central Florida, Davidson College, Clemson University, Lee University, North Carolina University and the University of North Georgia will compete alongside our Terriers. 

It will be the first of many competitions as Wofford is set to host the next three years of the tournament, creating quite the reputation for Wofford’s future attorneys. During the weekend, 70 attorneys will be judging the competition from across the state . 

“We’re very excited to have such strong competition visiting,” said Cannon Murray ‘25, team secretary. “As someone who has grown up with members of the Furman team, I’m excited to show what we’ve been working on and I’m confident that not only will we show a fantastic location for this tournament, but we will bring a strong team to this tournament.”

The teams will be housed for the weekend at the Marriott thanks to negotiations on behalf of the team. 

General audiences are welcomed and those interested in joining next year are especially encouraged to come out.

$0
$500