Look at her now: Dean Wallace takes over as dean of students

Photo by Caroline Parker Dean Wallace serves as Wofford’s interim dean of students and vice president of campus life and student development.

Wofford students received an email mid-January regarding changes in Wofford’s administration. Effective Jan. 20, Beth Wallace ’82 took over as interim vice president for campus life and student development and dean of students.

Wallace has worked at Wofford for 32 years, serving in many positions throughout her time.

“My first role here was being Wofford’s nurse since I had just gotten out of nursing school at Emory,” Wallace said. “I was able to watch our wellness department grow over many years, seeing us build a medical staff and get our very first counselor that worked four hours a week.”

Throughout her years as director of wellness, she has taken on many responsibilities, including wellness, accessibility services, alcohol education and counseling. The increase in medical and counseling staff has grown significantly over the years due to the need and interest of the students.

“When Roberta Hurley became dean of students a few years back, I became her associate dean as well as continuing my role as director of wellness,” Wallace said.

She also served in roles overlooking orientation, FYI-101 and developing the first-year curriculum.

Nayef Samhat, Wofford’s president, reached out to Wallace to see if she would be willing to take over as an interim dean of students and vice president for campus life and student development.

“I was delighted to take on this role. I felt equipped to do so, having worked closely with Dean Hurley for many years and working with the staff as well,” Wallace said. “I look at this position to see how we can advance in the student experience and support everyone on campus, whether staff or student.”

Her main goal is to make sure everyone feels supported on this campus, including meeting with staff to see what she can do to support them in their programming and initiatives.

“I’ve been here 32 years and I love this place; I love working here; I love my colleagues,” Wallace said. “It is a good place to land, and it makes this job so enjoyable.”

Thomas Cuttino ’23, campus union president, works closely with the dean of students and is happy to see Wallace take on this role, believing it was a good decision.

“Dean Wallace and I have maintained a firm working relationship throughout my time at Wofford, so the transition into her new position has allowed for our experience together thus far to be quite productive,” Cuttino said. “Dean Wallace’s selection is certainly a right-minded choice for the school, especially considering her extensive experience with and thorough knowledge of the college after nearly 30 years of oversight.”

During his time in campus union, he has seen multiple people take on the role of dean of students and, as president, has experienced two. When asked about the turnover and its impact on campus union, he described it as an easy change.

“My experience with Dr. Rouse was a fine one. In her time here, we did develop a close relationship, both working and friendly, and I am sure that Allen University will fare well under her administration,” Cuttino said. “That said, upon her departure and with the appointment of Dean Wallace, the changeover has been quite easy to work with. Wallace’s institutional knowledge and staunch devotion to faculty, staff and students are one that I am positive will contribute to a greater Wofford in the coming years.”

“I have enjoyed every moment of my time here, from being a student here to then become the campus nurse and now the interim dean of students,” Wallace said.

Julia Allen, managing editor

$0
$500