Answers to Wofford questions: words from a senior

Photo courtesy of Walton Jolly – Group of seniors enjoying their final spring break.

By the time you read this article, I will have 19 days left at Wofford College. It truly only feels like yesterday that I walked on this campus as a junior in high school during my spring break of college tours.

I came into Wofford as part of the Theater Living and Learning Community (LLC), which is where I really met my first friends here.

I considered majoring in theater, but ultimately decided to do a double major in government and environmental studies.

COVID-19 cut my freshman year short, but luckily I had made some pretty great friends that lasted even though we were hours apart. Sophomore year, I got to know the beauty of springtime at Wofford.

My junior year, I decided to join the Old Gold & Black, as I rediscovered my childhood love of writing, and I got to reconnect with my LLC friend (and now co-managing editor) Maddie Brewer ‘23.

Now I am a senior, approaching my final days at Wofford before heading back home and starting my journey to become the next Elle Woods.

When I moved into Greene Hall for my freshman year, I really wasn’t sure what to expect. I was wondering what friends I would make, if I would like the dining hall food, was I going to join a sorority and what on earth I was going to major in.

Four years and a whole lot more questions later, I think I finally found some answers.

Whether you are about to start your freshman or senior year, I know you definitely have some questions.

I reached out to a few seniors as we reminisced on our last few weeks in Spartanburg to hear what they have to say. Who knows, maybe this will help you or make you cry like I did during these interviews, and while writing this, if I’m being honest.

Everyone came to Wofford for a different reason; maybe you are like Anna Lee Hoffman ‘23.

“I decided to attend Wofford because it had everything that I could ever dream of wanting in an institution,” Hoffman said. “Wofford perfectly combined the student life that I was looking for, plus the tight knit community that I value more than anything else.”

Or maybe you are more like Matthew Shouse ‘23, who had a relative attend here.

“Wofford was a school that was always on my radar because I am from the area, and also my dad graduated from here. Throughout my college search, I continued to feel drawn to the small classes, connections, and overall community that Wofford offers,” Shouse said. “I applied to a total of 8 schools, but once I got accepted to Wofford on Christmas Eve in 2018, I never looked back. Best decision ever!”

All of us had the first half of our college experience impacted by the pandemic, but it did not hurt our experience.

It was when the restrictions had been slightly lifted and everyone was able to be together again sophomore year that really made Wofford feel like home, and even created some people’s happiest memories, like Adair Bannister ‘23.

“Dancing and singing together around the grass lawn on a sunny Saturday, during a band party on the horseshoe,” Bannister said. “It was during the late interim period in May of our sophomore year- all classes were done and we were finally out of quarantine. Everyone was so joyful and warm, it felt like we were one big family!”

While I’m sure every person in your life has given you some form of advice about college, you can never have too much.

Baird Thoni ‘23 wants to tell all Wofford students “to take advantage of every opportunity and event on campus. I know people told me that, but you don’t fully realize the importance of it until you are about to graduate.”

Lilly Hatton ‘23 wants to remind us all to “give yourself the flexibility to grow,” and Georgia Fischer ‘23 says to “never be a stranger.”

For me, I tell you that this may not be the best four years of life, but try to make at least one day the best.

I leave you with the wise words of Blake Batten ‘23:

“Be present. Soak up the little moments walking across campus and spending time with dear teachers and friends. Embrace the hard times as opportunities to learn and find peace in the promise of good to come.”

$0
$500