Wofford’s Tennis heads to the Southern Conference Championship

April 20-22, Wofford’s Men’s and Women’s Tennis teams headed to the Southern Conference Championship tournament. On April 19, the Southern Conference awards were released, with Breda Brennan ‘25 of Limerick, Ireland and Brianna Wilbur ‘24 of San Antonio, Texas both selected as All-Southern Conference Second Team. 

Brennan also had the honor to receive the Sportsmanship Award. Men’s Tennis player Robbie Young ‘25 of Greenville, South Carolina, was awarded the Buddy Hartsell Sportsmanship Award.

“(I’m) so proud of these girls, their hard work and determination,” said Women’s Tennis Head Coach Krissy Hall. 

Men’s Head Coach Rod Ray displayed immense pride in Young and his accomplishments, viewing him as being deserving of the honor. 

Both teams made it to the Southern Conference Tournament. The Men’s team lost during the quarterfinals to Mercer, while the  Women’s team made it to the semifinals after a 4-3 win against Samford, ultimately losing to East Tennessee State University.

The teams also recently recognized the two seniors they had between the two teams, Georgia Fischer ‘23 on the Women’s and Callum Rendle ‘23 on the Men’s. They celebrated with sweet treats and kind words to the departing players. 

This season also proved to have a great amount of support from the Wofford community towards both teams. Students, professors and coaches have been out at the tennis courts supporting the players.

President Nayef Samfat and Perkins-Prothro Chaplain and Professor of Religion Ronald R. Robinson, known simply as “Rev. Ron,” have both been out at the Reeves Tennis Center during matches to show their support. 

“Thank you Wofford family for all the support you showed us this season”, said Ashe Ray ‘24 of Spartanburg, South Carolina. 

All of the team members are so very grateful to their Wofford family for being out there watching and cheering for them. 

The Southern Conference Championship is a big goal for all of the members competing in the SoCon. All of the Wofford sports teams are a part of the Southern Conference, and it is a very significant memory and achievement for all of the student-athletes to be able to experience the championship. 

The Southern Conference awards, such as the sportsmanship award, show that sports are not only about competition and winning or losing. It is about building a personality. It is about respecting other teams and players. 

$0
$500