Welcome to the Boneyard

The Boneyard currently has 200 members and hopes to double that number by the end of the school year. Photo by Mark Olencki.

WOFFORD’S NEW SPIRIT GROUP IS THE BURIAL GROUND OF COMPETING SCHOOL SPIRIT —

Wofford is making a name for itself competitively in the SoCon, and Hayden Breckenridge thinks its college spirit section should as well. This fall is the debut of the Boneyard, Wofford’s new booster club and spirit group.

Breckenridge, the creator behind it all, says that the Boneyard’s goal is to become the most well- known student section in the So- Con. But football is not the only focus. The Boneyard plans to make an appearance at basektball, volleyball, men and women’s soccer and baseball games – “any sporting event that allows us to cheer,” informs Breckenridge.

“The desire for fans to be louder has always been a recurring theme during WAR meetings when discussing how to improve Wofford athletics,” says Breckenridge. “When men’s basketball made it to the national championship last year, the spirit that our student body brought to the game inspired me. I wondered why we didn’t see that at more athletic events. To really make a school spirit movement, there needed to be organization and leadership, and I was willing to make that happen.”

It hasn’t been all fun and games, however.

“The challenge in starting something like this is that it goes against pre-existing expectations. It has been hard to get upperclassmen to join because this isn’t anything they’ve done in previous years. The freshmen have been awesome, though. Every class at Wofford should bring as much excitement to sporting events as the freshman have.”

Breckenridge had a freshman confide in him that he was worried he gave up the enthusiastic atmosphere at sporting events when he chose to attend Wofford instead of a bigger institution. Once he saw the excitement the Boneyard brought, those fears vanished.

The Boneyard brought 200 people to Wofford’s first football game of the season against Georgia Tech. 150 of those people were freshmen. They had a tailgate and all marched into the stadium together. Breckenridge says he heard from home viewers that the student section could be heard cheering through the TV.

Students are not the only people who can join. Doors are open to athletes and faculty as well. The membership fee is $20, which includes a t-shirt, rally towel, bag and other promotional perks along the way. To join, contact Breckenridge at breckenridgemh@email. wofford.edu.

$0
$500