Setting the record straight

Q&A WITH THE TASKFORCE TO EXAMINE RECRUITMENT —

There’s a lot of misinformation out there about us – the Task- force to Examine Recruitment – and as the student members of the committee, we’re here to set the record straight. We hear the same complaints and get the same questions over and over, and we’re writing this to let you know that you have been heard and to give you the answers in a straightforward way – directly from your peers.

Who is on the Taskforce?

The committee has eight members made up of faculty, staff, and students – Greek and independent. Our members are:

• Chair: Mrs. Perry Henson, Kappa Alpha Theta ’96, Wellness Center College Counselor
  • Dr. David Pittman, Kappa Sigma ’94, Associate Professor of Psychology
  • Mr. Matt Hammett, Pi Kappa Phi alum (Clemson), Assistant Dean for Student Involvement
  • Mrs. Jenny Johnson, Kappa Del- ta Advisor, Assistant Professor of Accounting
  • Graham Lenes ’15, IFC President -Palmer Cantler ’15, Panhellenic Recruitment Chair
  • Alex Hunt ’15, Campus Union Delegate & Senior Class Vice President
  • Allen Lollis ’15, Campus Union Delegate & Chair Campus Relations Chair

What issues are the Taskforce examining?

We were originally tasked with recommending a time for recruitment, but found several precipitating factors over the course of our conversations with students and faculty. The three we’ve focused our efforts on were found to be the most far-reaching and prevalent– first-year transitions, student involvement and hazing.

Why is the Taskforce targeting Greek life?

Short answer: We’re not. Long answer: Our Taskforce is looking at a lot of different things on campus, from student government to campus activities, from Greek life to student organizations in general, in order to better Wofford and specifically improve the image of the Greek system, based upon the input of the entire campus.

Has a decision already been made in regards to timing of recruitment?

No. Not at all. We hope these answers have been helpful and have assuaged some of the worry surrounding this issue. Ultimately we want each of you to understand that we know just how vital Greek life is on our campus, and we realize that a strong and healthy Wofford necessitates a strong and healthy Greek system. Our goal is to better our community in the long-run, for Greeks, for independents, for faculty and for staff – for all members of our beloved Wofford family.

Respectfully,
Graham Lenes, Palmer Cantler, Alex Hunt and Allen Lollis

$0
$500