Wofford softball team makes long-awaited debut

Caroline Parker
Pitcher for the Softball team, Margaret Axelson ‘26, pitches at Snyder Field in a scrimmage against USC Aiken.

On Friday, Sept. 29, the Wofford softball team made their debut as a team in a victory game against Southern Methodist College.

The decision for Wofford to start a softball program was first announced in summer 2021.

“That decision was way before me, but I think a lot of it has to do with growing the athletic department and growing scholarships based on male athletes versus female athletes,” said Head Coach Chelsea Butler.

Butler believes that the addition of the softball team to Wofford was a big moment for the sports program because it created more opportunities for the sport of softball and for female students.

Assistant softball coach Mark Line was named the first temporary head coach of the team and oversaw the foundation of the program, the start of building a stadium and the start of recruiting the first class of athletes.

Athletes were recruited in fall 2021, shortly after it was announced that there would be a program. Kate Platte ‘26, was the first to sign a National Letter of Intent and was Wofford’s first recruit for the team composed of freshmen, as it began from scratch.

The softball program was not recognized by the NCAA until July 1, 2023, thereby inhibiting the team from playing until the next school year.

“Last year, there were nine players and full staff,” Butler said. “We went through the year training and laying the groundwork of what we all wanted and expected.”

To make up for time that would be spent playing games at other schools, the nine recruited players spent the year team-building and preparing for the history-making season ahead of them.

“When I first got recruited, (Line) told me about how the first year we wouldn’t be playing. When I heard I was not going to be playing I was (disappointed),” said Kaityln Greenwood ‘26

While it was expected to be a disappointment for players to miss out on their first year of playing on the team, the players gained a better sense of belonging in the Wofford community.

“I actually got to settle down with academics and get to know the school, the faculty, and the coaches before we got to compete,” Greenwood said. “I didn’t have to rush into it, which was really nice.

“It took a lot of stress off of us because we knew that we didn’t have games that we were getting ready to play for. This year, it’s a lot more fun now that we get to compete and see where we are and where everybody’s going to play. I’m really excited.”

The introduction of a softball program opened the door to put Wofford on the map.

“I think the more publicity and the more press the Wofford athletic department gets, the better, just because it is creating more traffic for more people to have interest and figure out who Wofford is and what we’re about,” Butler said.

The team will not begin competing until 2024 but has four more pre-season games to play this fall.

$0
$500