Wofford in Milan for Spring 2024

Madison Kutyla
Madison Kutyla ‘24 and Austin Givens ‘24 enjoying their study abroad experience in Italy. Take advantage of Wofford’s new Wofford in Milan program to experience similar sights.

Wofford prides itself on how many students go abroad during their undergraduate years and has been ranked high for both the percentage and total amount of students going abroad in recent years by lists such as the Open Doors Report.

While most Wofford study abroad programs are announced to students more than six months before a student would go abroad, Wofford announced in October, only a few weeks prior to Spring registration, that they would offer a study abroad program for the Spring 2024 semester to Milan.

While the timespan for students to sign up for the program may be short, Wofford has made the program more enticing than the average study-abroad semester.

Dean of International Programs Amy Lancaster spoke on the Milan study abroad program and how it relates to their overall goal for study abroad.

“In recent years, the Office of International Programs and the Provost’s Office have been working to identify ways to encourage more students to study abroad for a semester and to make it more accessible for all,” Lancaster said. 

One of the biggest parts of this particular program that will make it accessible to more students is that it will offer students a stipend while going abroad.

“The program is subsidized by the college and includes a stipend for meals and airfare, and the cost of a student visa will be covered, making this more affordable,” said Lancaster.

While there are several different ways to make studying abroad more accessible, the Milan program offers a new opportunity for Wofford students. Though students will still take classes with students from other colleges and universities, they will also have the possibility of taking some Wofford-specific classes while abroad. 

“Students often report wanting to study alongside their Wofford classmates, so a cohort experience like Wofford in Milan made a lot of sense,” said Lancaster. “The program also includes cultural activities planned specifically for Wofford students.”

While Wofford offers many different languages on its own, this program would offer Wofford students the new opportunity to learn Italian in a classroom environment. 

The Department of International Programs hopes that the mixture of classroom lessons and exposure through everyday interactions will help students learn the language quickly.

“Students will be studying Italian in an immersive environment, which is very different from three hours of class per week,” said Lancaster. “They will be surrounded by the language outside of the classroom, in addition to what they’re learning in their language class. They’ll be able to take what they’ve learned in the classroom and apply it immediately in their everyday interactions with the local community.”

Students will also be able to study a variety of other subjects while in Milan, all of which will be offered in English. These would also be a mix of Wofford-specific classes and programs with students from other colleges and universities. 

“Study abroad is a transformational experience that allows students to engage critically with issues impacting other communities and cultures and develop skills such as independence, adaptability, problem-solving and empathy,” said Lancaster. “These are all skills that will serve students and their communities for a lifetime.”

$0
$500