• Issue 10 Out Now!

Scott Kull: The new Director of Athletics
Abigail Taylor, Contributing Writer • April 16, 2024

A behind-the-scenes look at a Wofford game day

Wofford College football kicked off their 2024 season in early September against Pittsburgh. Aside from the team playing on the Ayers field, a lot of hard work goes on behind the scenes of each Saturday home game. 

Providing entertainment for the fans is a top priority at each home game. Most recently, Wofford’s halftime show was a national performing, balancing act. 

Wofford often has people offer halftime shows. Local organizations or youth teams are a go-to to provide entertainment for the games.

Along with the halftime shows, the Verandah Lot, a popular tailgate spot, has grown over the years. The lot and parking are blocked off for Terrier Club top donors only, allowing exclusive tailgating behind the field goal at Gibbs Stadium. 

“The Verandah Lot is one of the most unique ways to view a college football game in the country,” said Luke Feisal ‘14, the associate athletic director for athletic development for the Terrier Club.

“ It is tough to beat this setup during a nice, fall afternoon at Gibbs Stadium,” Feisal said. 

To purchase Verandah Lot season tickets, there are several giving levels to meet in order to be eligible for a space. 

The Terrier Club Benefit Chart states that to be eligible, you must have given enough to be a part of the Presidents Circle ($2,500 – $4,999), Collegiates Circle ($5,000 – $9,999), Founders Circle ($10,000 – $24,999), Bell Tower ($25,000-$49.999) or Full Scholarship ($50,000+). 

Becoming a part of each circle allows for a certain number of tickets to be purchased. Presidents Circle provides two Verandah Lot season tickets,Collegiates Circle provides four tickets and the remaining levels provide six tickets each. 

Meeting one or moreof these requirements allows for the purchase of Verandah Lot football season tickets and parking. 

“(The Verandah Lot) provides some of our most loyal Terrier Club supporters the opportunity to cheer on Wofford from the comfort of their own tailgate surrounded by family and friends,” Feisal said.

Another source of entertainment for sports games is the Wofford announcer. 

Jim Noble, the play-by-play voice of Wofford Athletics for basketball and football is a great asset to the games. Noble joined the Wofford staff in 2018. Before joining Wofford, he had 20 years of broadcasting experience with several different networks. 

“(Noble) does a really great job and we are lucky to have him,” said Addison Harvey, assistant athletic director for marketing and video.

Noble works closely with media relations staff and marketing and video staff while also attending some of the practices for the teams. He also produces storylines for the broadcasting of the games. 

“(Noble) is a very valuable asset for us at Wofford Athletics,” Harvey said.

Wofford also works to provide students with the opportunity to be a part of the camera staff on the sidelines. The school hires freelance workers for the games to be broadcasted through ESPN+, as all schools in the Southern Conference are required to do so.

“We really like to emphasize working with our students to give them that experience,” Harvey said. 

The school has several students on the camera staff for athletics, specifically those interested in video and photography. Wofford Athletics offers them a chance to practice and become familiar with the career path. 

The camera staff engages in both film and photography, filling the sidelines with people ready to capture action shots of the players and fans. 

With all of these components coming together at once, the Wofford Terriers can enjoy a nice home game.

$0
$500