• Issue 10 Out Now!

ICYMI: Wofford’s 2023 Homecoming recap

On+Oct.+31%2C+WAC+crowned+the+2023+Mr.+Wofford%2C+Jackson+Galbraith.+Mr.+Wofford+is+one+of+Wofford%E2%80%99s+many+Homecoming+traditions.+
Caroline Parker
On Oct. 31, WAC crowned the 2023 Mr. Wofford, Jackson Galbraith. Mr. Wofford is one of Wofford’s many Homecoming traditions.

Wofford College’s annual homecoming events took place from Nov. 3 through Nov. 5.

The campus was filled with alumni from several generations and action-packed with tailgating, football, live music, events and food.

The football game kicked off at 3:30 p.m. against Western Carolina on Saturday, Nov. 4.

During halftime the homecoming court was revealed, with 10 nominees from different organizations on campus brought onto the field by two escorts of their choice.

Jackson Galbraith ‘24 was present on the field, among the nominees and their family members, to join his fellow homecoming court winner. Galbraith was named this year’s Mr. Wofford days before the homecoming game.

On Oct. 31, WAC crowned the 2023 Mr. Wofford, Jackson Galbraith. Mr. Wofford is one of Wofford’s many Homecoming traditions. (Caroline Parker)

Galbraith walked onto the field with President Nayef Samhat and the previous homecoming queen, Sarah Owens ‘23.

The three of them were there to present the homecoming queen winner with gifts.

Generally, each organization around campus nominates a woman for homecoming court, and, if chosen, the woman gets to accept or deny the nomination.

This year, 26 women were nominated in total.

This year’s homecoming standings revealed 3rd runner-up Abby Ellet ‘24 representing Kappa Delta, second runner-up Anise Wright ‘24 representing Wofford Women of Color and Homecoming Queen of 2023 Tytajha Robinson ‘24 representing Wofford Cheer.

Robinson was escorted onto the field by her parents, Tyra and Vanchell Robinson.

“I got nominated by my cheer team, and I did not expect to be, but I was really honored to do it,” Robinson said.

Robinson has been a part of the Wofford Cheerleading since arriving at Wofford College in 2020.

In addition, has been a resident assistant for the past two years, once in Wightman Hall and now in the Village.

“I feel honored and loved by the Wofford community,” said Robinson. “Four years ago, I would have never thought this was something I could do, and to see that I have the support of so many people makes me feel so loved.”

Robinson will hold the title of Wofford Homecoming Queen until fall 2024, despite her graduation in May 2024.

After the homecoming court took place at halftime, the football game resulted in a 25-28 score, with Western Carolina winning.

“You always want to win, but Western is a really good team and we played hard which is always good to see,” said Wofford quarterback Bryce Corriston.

Homecoming weekend provides the Wofford community with several activities in addition to the football game.

With these events, the number of fans for that particular weekend is much higher than any other gameday.

“It makes it a lot more fun for sure,” said Corriston. “The more people there, (the more) you want to play good, and we want to win for all the people coming back.”

Even with a football loss, Wofford Homecoming 2023 was a success.

Check out the next issue of The Old Gold & Black to learn more about Wofford football’s comeback during their last two games of the season.

$0
$500