• Issue 10 Out Now!

Craig Melvin ’01 named 2023 Kappa Sigma Man of the Year

Mark Olencki
Craig Melvin ‘01 visited Wofford College in Oct. 2022, speaking with members of The Old Gold & Black.

Craig Melvin ’01 was a member of Wofford College’s Alpha-Nu chapter of Kappa Sigma during his years as a student at Wofford College.

Recently, he was recognized as the 2023 Kappa Sigma Man of the Year for his representation of the organization’s four pillars: Fellowship, Leadership, Scholarship and Service.

Melvin was initiated into Wofford College’s Alpha-Nu chapter of Kappa Sigma in 1998 and serves on Wofford’s board of trustees for the 2023-2024 academic year.

Along with his continued involvement at the college, Melvin is the news anchor of NBC News’ TODAY Show and co-host of the 3rd Hour of the TODAY Show.

“Brother Melvin sets a wonderful example for the undergraduate Brothers of Kappa Sigma,” Burt Trembly, national president of Kappa Sigma’s alumni board of directors, said in a press release. “Through his achievements, they are inspired to follow their passions and are reminded that, with diligence and hard work, they too can reach the pinnacle of their profession.

“He exemplifies the values of our organization and brings honor to himself, his family and all of us as members of Kappa Sigma.”

Melvin is the second consecutive brother from Alpha-Nu to be named Kappa Sigma Man of the Year, with James “Fisher” DeBerry ’57 being named as 2022 Kappa Sigma Man of the Year.

Lawson Taliaferro ’25, current president of Kappa Sigma’s Alpha-Nu chapter, describes this dual win for the Alpha-Nu chapter to be a great achievement.

“It’s a great honor because ‘Kappa Sig’ is one of the biggest organizations nationwide, so to pick our guy, Craig Melvin, from such a small school, is really incredible,” Taliaferro said.

“We have had two of our guys selected in the past three years. (DeBerry) was Man of the Year last year, which is a big deal for us because not only do we get Man of the Year once, but twice back-to-back.”

Taliaferro believes that Melvin is the perfect candidate for this year’s award, given the way he reflects the fraternity’s values on national television.

“Melvin is a famous guy, and he’s on the board (at Wofford), so it’s a great honor for us to say that he is our guy; he was a ‘Kappa Sig’ here,” Taliaferro said. “You can see it when he’s up on TV, that he is truly honorable, straightforward and easy to talk to.”

The Alpha-Nu chapter posted the achievement on Instagram on Nov. 9, and Melvin commented on the post to show his gratitude for the recognition.

“I’m honored to continue the Kappa Sigma legacy,” the comment read. “Thank you!”

Melvin elaborated more in a press release for the award, stating, “I am so honored to be chosen as Kappa Sigma’s Man of the Year. I have such fond memories from my days at the Alpha-Nu Chapter at Wofford College and am so proud to continue the Kappa Sigma legacy of excellence.”

The organization has had 90 men hold this title, chosen from over 250,000 living members. Melvin receiving this honor is no small accomplishment and adds to his successes as an Emmy Award winner, author, journalist and more.

$0
$500