The 8th Annual Terrier Startup Challenge

The 8th annual Terrier Startup Challenge will take place on Thursday, March 7. The challenge consists of a start-up pitch competition in which students compete to win a portion of ten thousand dollars, modeled after the popular television show “Shark Tank.”

This year’s first-place winner will be rewarded $4,000 for their idea.  

The challenge’s purpose is to highlight entrepreneurship innovation where students are tasked to present a potential business idea or existing businesses to a panel of judges in exchange for a cash reward, allowing only Wofford Students to participate. 

Family and friends are welcome to watch the student’s pitches live and support those competing in McMillan Theater. In addition to cash rewards for students, there are many connection opportunities to help students be successful with their ideas.

Holden Erwin ‘25 won third place in the challenge and the audience choice award in 2022. These winnings result in Erwin being rewarded a total of $2,250. His pitch was for Sawtooth Game Calls, a brand he started with his brother to create hunting game calls. 

“I would encourage people to participate in (the challenge)” said Erwin. 

Erwin used most of his money for advertising on social media platforms, and the remainder went to an advertisement company the brothers had previously used. 

The challenge is being held in the spring semester this year to accommodate and support the academic initiative with the Southern Conference.

The challenge serves as a semi-finalist competition for other entrepreneurship competitions within the SoCon. 

“I think (the challenge) is a cool thing that the school provides for students who have entrepreneurial mindsets that want to start a company, “ said Erwin. 

Fourteen of 20 students who applied for the Terrier Startup Challenge will participate in the upcoming competition. The number of applicants was double what they saw last year, and the pitches will include anything ranging from retail to service ideas. 

Sarah Butler, the launch program manager at the Career Center coordinates the challenge. The launch program also serves students who wish to start a business with further benefits regarding entrepreneurship. 

Butler previously taught an interim titled “Entrepreneurial Mindset,” which involved pitching that resembled the Terrier Startup Challenge, encouraging those students to participate. 

“The Terrier Startup Challenge gives college students an opportunity to share or vet their business idea to bring about brand awareness and challenge the fear of public speaking,” said Butler.

Joseph McMillan, a notable Wofford alum who competed in the challenge, won $5,000 for his business previously called “Junk Matters” and now called “Atlas Organics.” The company is an all-natural composting business where organic waste is recycled and turned into nutrient-rich soil. 

Following his winnings, the company had major success in the following years, leading McMillan to sell the company. The company is now a nationwide organization. 

Another notable contestant from the past is Will Barringer, who pitched a boat detailing business headed out of Alabama. Barringer’s rewards allowed him to fund advertising for his company and hire employees within the service business. 

The Terrier Startup Challenge allows students to get their ideas on their feet while getting experience in the business world. 

“You have a business idea? Let’s hear it,” said Butler. 

$0
$500