Wofford baseball sees record breaking accomplishments

Caroline Parker
The baseball team practiced April 17, 2024 in preparation for their tournament against Mercer the following weekend. The baseball team has a successful season thus far

Over the past few years, Wofford’s baseball team has been built into a successful powerhouse. 

The last two seasons alone have seen broken records for the team, including the first 40-win seasons for the program as well as leading the Southern Conference during the 2023 season with 145 stolen bases and a team batting average at .314.

This success has continued into this season, as they have been leaders in the Southern Conference and have had many players named players of the week, players of the month, pitchers of the week, pitchers of the month and student athlete of the week.

Included in the ranks of players who have been recognized for their talent include Marshall Toole ‘25, Dixon Black ‘24, Zac Cowan ‘26 and Braden Hofmeyer ‘25.

“I think it really comes down to a lot of people playing selflessly, which is kind of ironic (because) it seems like it would be the other way around,” said Toole. “I think everyone is going out and doing everything they can to win and that leads to a lot of personal and team success.”

On top of receiving player of the week and of the month recognition, Toole has also been a leader on the team as well as in the league for many aspects of the offense, including stealing.

“(I do) my part and just (stick) to my strengths,” said Toole. “I’m a good runner, so I like putting pressure on the defense, whether that’s with a bunt or on the bases stealing.”

Black and Jack Renwick ‘24 have also been team leaders, both reaching the 200 career hits milestone. Renwick also created a new program record with over 86 career stolen bases.

Stealing bases is one of baseball’s strong points on their offense as well as the use of bunts, both of which are not as common at this level of the sport, as both are difficult to do, though this team is successful at it.

“We will bunt for a hit a lot because we are really athletic,” said Head Coach J.J. Edwards. “We want to steal bases, and we want to have a different offense then everyone else”

During his first season as head coach, Edwards has helped lead this team into another strong season, as seen in the team’s ability to break Wofford’s records for most runs in an inning, 15 runs and most runs in a game at 29 runs, which they have been able to do twice this season.

“It’s just not one thing (contributing to the high number of runs). We can run, we can hit for power; we don’t really strike out; we put the ball in play,” said Edwards. “When we empty the bench, the guys who come in play are just as good as our starters, so you’re adding depth, and when you add depth you take away pressure on guys that they don’t have to play very well every single night”

The depth of baseball’s bench has helped them play at a high level and achieve all that they have been able to as a team as well as individually.

It looks as though baseball will continue to play impressively this season as well as in many seasons to come and will have many exciting achievements from this season to build on.

$0
$500