Recruitment rules

After+the+conclusion+of+2015%E2%80%99s+recruitment+process%2C+Caroline+Starnes+%28left%29+runs+to+greet+a+new+member+of+Zeta+Tau+Alpha+outside+of+Anna+Todd+Wofford+on+Bid+Day.+
After the conclusion of 2015’s recruitment process, Caroline Starnes (left) runs to greet a new member of Zeta Tau Alpha outside of Anna Todd Wofford on Bid Day.

By Anna Aguillard, staff writer

For the nearly 60 percent of Wofford women involved in Greek Life, returning to school in the fall has meant miraculously relocating student ID cards after three months, frantically moving in and immediately entering into “recruitment mode.” For both potential new members and returning sisters, fall recruitment has shaped the semester’s sentiment ever since Wofford became co-ed in the 1970s.

However, this year’s recruitment period is dramatically different. After announcing plans to transition to deferred recruitment in the spring of 2016, Wofford will now hold its last fall recruitment a week earlier than usual.

And the dates are not the only aspect of sorority recruitment that have undergone significant change. The Office of Student Affairs attempted to pass a new set of Panhellenic recruitment rules in the spring of 2015 — however, these rules were struck down after chapter voting.

In response to the concerns of chapter leadership, the administration passed a new set of rules to the Panhellenic community on Tuesday, Sept. 1 – less than two weeks before the start date of Formal Recruitment. Usually, sororities begin preparing for recruitment in the spring.

“We tried our best to plan our recruitment based upon what we anticipated the changes would entail,” said Chandler Balentine, president of Kappa Delta. “With an earlier recruitment date and a few last minute adjustments, the process has been a little stressful.”

These new rules mirror the National Panhellenic Conference’s policy of “no frills” recruitment, recruitment guidelines that focus on communication between potential new members and sorority women rather than costumes and shows. Notable changes in the 2015 rules included drastic budget cuts, restricted performance lengths, limited performers and set in-party monitoring.

For the most part, the rules affect existing chapter members. While potential new members may not even be aware of the existence of these rules, chapter leadership has gone through great lengths to adapt to Wofford’s new standards.

Caroline Starnes, Recruitment Chair of Zeta Tau Alpha, mirrored Balentine’s concerns. “With all the intricate details that go into planning recruitment parties, it did get very hard when things were so last minute.”

“However,” Balentine continued, “We are excited for Fall Recruitment, and thrilled that 132 girls have decided that they want to go through sorority recruitment.”

“It’s important to keep in mind what recruitment is all about,” said Starnes. “It’s easy to get caught up in the rule changes and unclear details, but the bigger part is making sure that sisterhood shines through and that potential new members feel as comfortable as possible. Despite the stress, the whole reason that I wanted to chair recruitment was to help girls find the home that I was fortunate enough to find in my own sorority.”

Formal recruitment is set to begin today, Sept. 11, so we will see how these new rules play out.

$0
$500