2014 Greek recruitment on campus

Gamma Chis for 2014 Panhellenic recruitment act as counselors and advisors to young women interested in going Greek.

WITH RIGHT AT 50 PERCENT OF STUDENTS PARTICIPATING IN GREEK LIFE AT WOFFORD, CAMPUS IS BUZZING WITH FRATERNITY AND SORORITY RECRUITMENT THIS FALL  —

With nearly 500 new freshmen entering Wofford’s campus, Panhellenic President Senior Palmer Cantler anticipates the biggest Greek Life recruitment Wofford has seen since 2011, when 160 girls participated in sorority recruitment.

She says, “We are planning for 170 women to rush tops, which is the biggest it has ever been. Currently 120 girls are signed up.” As the Wofford student body grows and Greek Life as well, the new Greek task force has areas of concern for this recruitment season. The task force consists of Natalee Oldham, the panhellenic advisor and RD coordinator of Greek Life. Corey Sanders is over IFC, and Dean Matthew Hammett is the assistant dean of student involvement, with Greek life falling under his umbrella of responsibility.

“The task force is looking at some problems that have been happening and what we can do to improve recruitment and new membership periods,” explains Cantler, one of the student voices on the task force.

“The Faculty staff and students concerns include hazing and lack of events throughout the fall after recruitment,” Cantler says. “We need more large WAC events—so that would require increasing WAC’s budget. We would like to see more student involvement beyond the recruitment period.”

Another issue that Cantler sees with the recruitment process is that some women are not receiving bids. “We are working with national panhellenic to the best of our ability to place as many girls in a sorority as possible.”

Because of the higher numbers of women in sorority recruitment in particular, there has been a lot of inquiry on campus about adding another sorority.

Palmer points out, “Adding a new sorority is an entire process called Extension. It would be done by National Panhellenic. Currently Wofford Panhellenic is not strong enough to support a fifth sorority. This would be more of a five year plan because we need to build Panhellenic. If down the road Greek life is still growing, then it will happen at that time.”

Sorority recruitment parties start Sept. 19. The first night consists of four parties in which each sorority talks about philanthropy and the things which they are passionate about. Everyone gets the chance to meet all of the girls going through recruitment. The second night is theme night.

“This is, I think, the most exciting night where the girls sing chants and show their excitement. You get to see the personality of the chapter, their socials, and what they do to have fun,” says Cantler.

The third night is preference night. Potential new members will go to up to two parties to learn more about the history and ritual of the chapter and finally make their decision. There is strict silence on Monday. Bid day is 6 p.m. Monday night Sept. 21 outside of Anna Todd and the Gamma Chis will reveal themselves.

“Going through the process we want to encourage you to join. We want you to make friends but we want you to be involved in one of these organizations,” says Cantler.

Fraternity rush is on a different schedule and setup than the sorority recruitment. Formal Rush Smokers will take place the evenings of the 22nd-24th and the bid card signing ceremony will be Thursday, Sept. 25th.

“IFC is really looking forward to rush,” says senior IFC Vice President Whit McLeod. “Last year, we had over 100 men participate in rush and we are expecting an even greater number this year. We encourage all men to at least go through rush even if they are not yet certain they want to pledge a fraternity. It’s an excellent opportunity to meet guys in all classes and find out if Greek life is right for you,” says McLeod.

$0
$500