Spartanburg’s new face lift

The popular “Love Where You Live” mural in downtown Spartanburg is part of another campaign to bring tourists and businesses to the city.

By: Katherine Waters, Staff Writer

Wofford students may have noticed a few changes to downtown Spartanburg upon returning for school in August; the area’s recent construction and new stores were showcased by the Chamber of Commerce’s Meet Your New Main Street event, held two weeks prior to upperclassmen move-in and hosted by the Spartanburg Downtown Association.

The portion of Main Street between the Denny’s Tower and North Church Street had been closed over the summer to allow for construction, and the re-opening of the street provided the opportunity to display the new renovations and increase traffic to the businesses along that stretch.  Visitors were able to walk down the new Main Street, which had been straightened out and resurfaced to be more pedestrian-friendly.

The businesses of downtown Spartanburg all claim to have benefitted greatly from the exposure and exclusive promotions that were offered. Kelly Blackwell, the owner of the Two Doors Down boutique, says, “My sales that day were triple if not more than I would normally do on a Saturday.”

Bella Dance Studio, which opened its Main Street location in May, held demos to display their dancers’ talents in front of the crowds for the first time. Owner Georgia Burnett said that the studio “signed up five new students and collected contact information from at least 20 people who are interested in learning more about classes.”

Other businesses that participated in the event included The Local Hiker, the Three Sisters Boutique, Carolina Cash and the Lemon Peel.

In addition to those businesses, the Spartanburg Downtown Association organized live music, food stations and carnival-esque attractions to be located along Main Street. The Paisley Paw pet boutique held a dog costume contest where pet owners could take pictures of their dressed-up dogs to win a gift basket.

Even Wofford was able to support the event by providing a football toss game and information for any guests interested in learning more about the school.

As the semester unfolds, more Wofford students will be making the short trip to the downtown area to visit the many stores and restaurants. After the debuts of new businesses in the spring and other upcoming renovations, such as the updating of the clock tower in Daniel Morgan Square, Spartanburg is expected to welcome in increasing numbers of visitors.

$0
$500