A sports report

Mascot Magnolia trying to stay dry during the rainy game against Gardner-Webb. Photo by Mark Olencki.

By: Reece Funderburk, Contributing Writer

The Wofford Terriers escaped Parent’s Weekend and a rainy game to come out with a 16-0 win against Gardner-Webb on Sept. 26 at Gibbs Stadium. The win makes the Terriers 2-2 on the season and their second straight win at home this season.

The Terriers fought all night in a defensive battle with light rain and mist, which limited the teams offensively all night. Wofford did manage to shutout the Bulldogs, however, and get their first shutout over an opponent since 2012 against Lincoln.

The MVP for the Terriers had to be sophomore kicker David Marvin, who made field goals of 45, 50 and 39 yards plus one PAT with his only miss being another 50 yard attempt. Marvin was a star in an otherwise defensive chess match game with his 50 yard field goal being the third longest in team history. Both teams combined for 17 punts and only 5 third down conversions.

“I’m just happy with the entire field goal unit,” Marvin says. “From the snap to the hold to the blocking, it was really great with that weather. I trust them, and that’s the best part.”

“We were fortunate that our kicking game had a good night with David Marvin’s field goals and Brian Sanders holding the ball on a wet night,” Head Coach Mike Ayers says. “I wish we would have been more consistent offensively, but we were consistent on defense and shut them out which is always good.”

Junior quarterback Evan Jacks made his first start this season as well as his first since an injury last year. He managed 41 yards on 3-of-8 passing and just 21 yards on 10 carries rushing. Leading the team in rushing yards was junior Lorenzo Long, who rushed for 63 yards on 20 attempts. In total, seven different players carried the ball for Wofford.

Wofford led Gardner-Webb in every stat Saturday, including time of possession, total yards and the turnover battle.

The Terriers open conference played on Oct. 3 at 6 p.m. against the Mercer Bears at Mercer. They will have back to back road games with Citadel the following weekend before heading back to Gibbs Stadium October 17 against Western Carolina.

In other Wofford athletics news, the Women’s Soccer team fell to 1-4-3 on the season after a loss to the Samford Bulldogs on Sept. 27. The Lady Terriers played again on Oct. 2 against So-Con opponent VMI at 6 p.m.

The Women’s Tennis team finished competition at the Virginia Tech Hookie Invite Sept.27 with a 6-21 record in singles matches and a 3-6 record in doubles matches.

Former Wofford football player Brenton Bersin was activated on the Carolina Panther’s active 53 man roster on Sept. 26. He played in the matchup on Sept. 27 with the New Orleans Saints, catching one pass for 13 yards and a first down.

Finally, Wofford inducted 3 new members to the Wofford Athletic Hall of Fame! Congratulations to Anthony Jones (Football ’03), Nick Schuermann (Men’s Soccer ’10) and Brandon Waring (Baseball ’15)!

$0
$500