There’s an app for that

By: Anna Aguillard, Senior Writer

In a year of measurable transition, The Office of Student Affairs has begun a cross-campus collaboration to promote the events of student organizations. In order to track the events, the Office of Student Affairs has launched its own app, “Wofford College Events.”

“The idea came about after Laura Settle and I attended the National Association for Campus Activities conference last fall. A few schools offer similar programming, so we took the idea and reworked it to fit our campus,” says Luci Laffitte, director of student activities.

The app lists monthly events, categorized by organization. Users can view the event’s time and location and add it to their personal calendars.

The collection and organization of events, deemed the First 54, covers the first 54 days of classes and concludes on the Friday of Homecoming, Oct. 23.

“Why 54? It is a play-off of the year Wofford was founded (1854), and covers the first several weeks of school when students are getting acclimated,” Laffitte says.

Over the summer, Laffitte reached out to student organization and departments to take stock of the events they were planning in the fall.

“The student organizations rallied behind the initiative and have done a wonderful job coming up with events and activities,” she says. “Over time, new traditions will be created surrounding these events.”

To date, the college is 36 days in to the 54-day plan. While many students are unaware of both the initiative and the app, Laffite hopes that its effects will still promote cross-campus involvement.

“My hope is that students will realize that there are plenty of activities to choose from on campus,” says Laffitte.

The app can be downloaded for free from the app store by searching “Wofford Campus Events.”

$0
$500