Gold & black; red, orange, yellow, green, blue, teal, purple

By: Caleb Pierce, Staff Writer

Two years ago, the Princeton Review ranked Wofford among the nation’s 20 least LGBT-friendly campuses.

Senior Maggie Sessoms, co-president of Spectrum, Wofford’s gay-straight alliance, says, “After the survey came out that called Wofford one of the most LGBT unfriendly, our previous president said that Wofford isn’t unfriendly, Wofford is apathetic.”

Spectrum has worked to address this apathy.

“Wofford as a whole has been fairly supportive…but you’ve gotta be there, you’ve gotta talk to them, you’ve gotta initiate the conversations because a lot of people are concerned about being polite, and they’re concerned about saying something wrong, and they don’t want to offend,” Sessoms says. “But if we start those conversations, then we give them the opportunity to ask questions and give them the opportunity to learn.”

In previous years, Spectrum has embarked on projects such as the inclusion of sexual orientation and gender identity in Wofford’s nondiscrimination clause. This year, Spectrum expects to host several events around campus throughout the school year.

“This semester, we’re probably going to do something for National Coming Out Day, which is in October,” Sessoms says. “Next semester we’re going to try to have the drag show again. We don’t have it set in stone, but there will be more events throughout the year.”

Spectrum welcomes all students, regardless of gender identity and sexual orientation.

“I think it’s important for people to know that they don’t need to wait for someone else to start that conversation,” Sessoms says. “If they have questions and they have something they want to learn about – it’s important to ask. We are inclusive and everyone is welcome.”

View Comments (1)
$0
$500